Mustard colored urates, stool otherwise normal

Pics

mama23

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 5, 2009
IMG_7550.JPG
IMG_7557.JPG
My rooster is 20 weeks old. Two weeks ago he started acting weak, sort of falling to one side and decreased appetite. He also started with yellow urates. I have had mareks here in the past and was afraid he was falling into it. I increased his protein and his stability improved (though still present) and his stools returned to normal consistency. His appetite is good. However his urates are still mustard yellow. I have him on immuno charge (same company that puts out avia charge) and also have him on milk thistle which I have used many times in the past on hens with liver issues with good results. Despite being on milk thistle two weeks his urates are still yellow. I'm at a loss. If it were bacterial the immuno charge should help. If it were his liver that should have improved with the milk thistle. If he is fighting a mild case of mareks is it possible he is still just stressed? Is there any other explanation I'm overlooking? He is not dehydrated. The only health issue he has had is coccidia when he was 6 weeks old. It kept coming back on him through a few corrid treatments and I finally switched to an extremely diluted oregano oil to get rid of it completely. No recurrence since then. I will attach his stool pics as well as a recent pic of him in case anyone sees anything off. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7566.PNG
    IMG_7566.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Your cute cockerel could have any number of issues, but the fact he's still eating well is a good sign that he's still got a few good miles ahead of him.

The black feed clumps may indicate contamination. Please muster up the courage and stick you nose into that bag of crumbles and tell us what it smells like.

Recently I had a bag of Purina Flock Raiser that had a horrid odor, sort of like mouse urine. I called Purina and reported it, and they had me take some photos and e-mail them to the company. They sent me a coupon in return for a replacement bag. The photo below is what the clumps looked like. It was my observation the feed had likely been contaminated before the bag was filled since the discoloration only appeared on the inside. Luckily none of my flock got sick from it and I tossed it as soon as I noticed it.

Back to the cockerel. The mustard poop could be a sign of kidney or liver disease or a bacterial infection. We're only guessing. You can learn far more by taking the poop sample in to a vet for a float test with bacterial stains to determine if an infection is making him sick or worms perhaps.

If you've had Marek's on your premises, it may still be there. So an avian virus could be responsible and could be causing tumors on his kidneys and liver. Unfortunately, to find out would require a necropsy and he has to die for that. Your cockerel, however, may have other plans.
P1010005.JPG

I have seen feed like that before. No mine looks completely normal except for the kernels having the black. I'll update with a photo in the morning along with a smell test. The flock party did not have the same smell. I may buy another small bag of the natures best tmrw and I'll see if it has the black stuff. It may be normal.
Take a pic of the MFG code too....and post along with 'brand and model' of feed.

There are a number of things that occur to me from reading through this post....

I have concerns about their feed.... You mention black bits on grains.... is it a grain mix (rather than a pellet of crumble) you are feeding them.... you mention there is a lot of waste which would tie in with that. Birds will bill out and scratch through a grain mix to find and eat their favourite components which leads to a dietary imbalance and waste of the less preferred parts of the mix, usually the higher protein pulses. You mention that your hen has liver problems which is something these grain mixes can cause. It sounds like you give them two different types of feed..... if one is a grain mix, they will usually eat that in preference to a pellet or crumble simply because they can pick the "best bits" out. How do you offer the grain mix.... ie ad lib in a feeder or a small amount each day thrown down for them to scratch about for and clean up so that they are more likely to eat everything rather than starve... If they have another source of food, they are unlikely to eat up the less attractive components and their diet will be skewed.

Since you have a history with Marek's. this is the likely cause. You mention that the hen was harassing him and that was when he started getting wobbly
I've never seen a hen like that before. She would spar with him and he would always go down on that leg
It is common that birds will develop neurological issues with Marek's as a result of stress.
Marek's birds are often vulnerable to coccidiosis. The virus suppresses the immune system making them more prone to parasites and infections that stronger healthier birds would have resistance to. The Marek's itself will lie dormant sometimes for significant periods of time... weeks months or sometimes even years... but the immune system may be compromised even during that dormant phase. He is certainly the right age to be suffering from it.

To me, the blood and tissue at the root indicates that the feather has been plucked out. One of the photos appears to be a new feather still partially in it's sheath and my guess would be that it has been pulled out, probably by one of the other hens particularly if you have one that is harassing him. Just because you have not witnessed them pecking him, does not mean it has not happened and unless his feathers are falling out when you handle him, that is the most likely cause. Other birds will often pick on a sick bird and Marek's birds seem to be a common target.

I am not familiar with the products you are using because I am in the UK but I would recommend a good poultry vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell and perhaps some little slivers of raw liver or meat to give him some iron and additional B vitamins as well as build up his protein. If he will not eat it whole, blend it and mix with his crumbles and a little water. Personally I would stop the grain mix (if you are using one) as it is difficult to provide them in a way that ensures a balanced diet.

I used it on him when I first got him at 4 weeks of age. He had grain mites on him. I was told they don't live on chickens but he definitely had them. I didn't notice any yellow urates but for the longest time he had yellow around his eyelids. That is all gone now.

Yes they are pine shavings. Southern states sells various sizes. I plan to get the medium size next time. The mini I got this time are too small.

Can you feel of his lower abdomen for any tightness or fluid? I don’t think the Sevin dust would have caused this. It is no longer approved for poultry, and I have found that lice are not dying right away. I would use permethrin garden dust or the spray because it is approved and safe for chickens.

It could be a heart or liver problem, but hard to know without a poultry vet and labs or xrays. There might be an infection or tumor somewhere that has caused a liver or bile duct issue. The repeated issue with coccidiosis may be related. We can only guess at this time. A fecal test may not show anything except worms or coccidiosis. I wish I could offer help, but I would keep trying to get him to eat and drink. Maybe try a couple of ml of Poultry NutriDrench each day for vitamins and trace minerals including iron.

He has a good appetite and to anyone else they would not believe he is sick. He is just wobbly like his left leg buckles on him and then the yellow urates. I am afraid he is fighting off mareks and has liver tumors. I just wasn't sure if this was a possibility and it sounds like it is. His abdomen is normal. I don't feel an enlarged liver. He has lost some weight but his keel isn't sticking out yet. I would think if he had a tumor in his liver that he would lose appetite. I am totally stumped. I did notice black specks in the feed attached to the grains. I haven't seen this before and I replaced it. Not sure if this could be an aflatoxin or not.

I have two hens and the rooster. They are all currently on starter. He has always been on starter. It is nature's best organic starter but it has a low 16% protein and I supplement it with flock party starter which I think is 22%. I did move my natures best to a new area and it is moist in that area. I may have moved it a month ago. He fits all the symptoms. This may be a mold issue. I took the natures best away and filled their bowls with only the flock party. It looked fine and was stored in a different area not damp. I almost wonder if his damage from coccidia made him more susceptible (assuming this is what is causing his symptoms).

Back
Top Bottom