Mustard colored urates, stool otherwise normal

Your cute cockerel could have any number of issues, but the fact he's still eating well is a good sign that he's still got a few good miles ahead of him.

The black feed clumps may indicate contamination. Please muster up the courage and stick you nose into that bag of crumbles and tell us what it smells like.

Recently I had a bag of Purina Flock Raiser that had a horrid odor, sort of like mouse urine. I called Purina and reported it, and they had me take some photos and e-mail them to the company. They sent me a coupon in return for a replacement bag. The photo below is what the clumps looked like. It was my observation the feed had likely been contaminated before the bag was filled since the discoloration only appeared on the inside. Luckily none of my flock got sick from it and I tossed it as soon as I noticed it.

Back to the cockerel. The mustard poop could be a sign of kidney or liver disease or a bacterial infection. We're only guessing. You can learn far more by taking the poop sample in to a vet for a float test with bacterial stains to determine if an infection is making him sick or worms perhaps.

If you've had Marek's on your premises, it may still be there. So an avian virus could be responsible and could be causing tumors on his kidneys and liver. Unfortunately, to find out would require a necropsy and he has to die for that. Your cockerel, however, may have other plans.
P1010005.JPG

I have seen feed like that before. No mine looks completely normal except for the kernels having the black. I'll update with a photo in the morning along with a smell test. The flock party did not have the same smell. I may buy another small bag of the natures best tmrw and I'll see if it has the black stuff. It may be normal.

I have seen feed like that before. No mine looks completely normal except for the kernels having the black. I'll update with a photo in the morning along with a smell test. The flock party did not have the same smell. I may buy another small bag of the natures best tmrw and I'll see if it has the black stuff. It may be normal.
Take a pic of the MFG code too....and post along with 'brand and model' of feed.

View attachment 1651959 View attachment 1651955 View attachment 1651947 I may be able to get a little stool sampling kit from my local vet so I can mail it off to my avian vet. He is two hours away. Here is a pic I took just now in natural light. It has pine shavings on it.

Also I forgot to mention this but he's been losing a lot of wing and tail feathers. But not in the usual moulting way. They almost look broken off. There is blood at the end. He is not bullied. No parasites. This is what I suspect started all of this. His wing feathers are weird looking the way they lay. He can jump up and down fine. I'll snap a pic of his wing feathers when I go back out. I'll attach some weird feathers I've found in the house and yard.
Those feather pics made me think about deplumbing mites... but I doubt they would be responsible for the other symptoms ?!?

Thank you I hope he gets better too. It's frustrating not knowing what's going on.

Yes he is the only one with weird symptoms. I'm curious if he is at greater risk bc of his coccidia bout. I still keep going back to mareks though. I'll post the pics when I go out this morning. It's super early here right now.

I've never heard of a deplumbing mite. I'll look that up. I have had a battle with scaly leg. All three are feather footed. I have good luck with olive oil and Vaseline but my white Cochin despises me for a week after I do it. I was afraid the seven dust (I call it seven but it may be just permethrin? -I'll check that too) could still be absorbing into his skin. His symptoms fit so many things. I will add that he is the youngest. My other hen is a salmon faverolle and was rough with him for a long time. This may sound crazy but it seems like she wants to play with him. She is very active and runs around. I've never seen a hen like that before. She would spar with him and he would always go down on that leg. I'm just trying to think of as many possibilities and info as possible.

I think you may be into something with the deplumbing mite. I just looked it up. I looked him over a few days ago and pulled a crusty patch of skin surrounding his tail feather off. It says this mite is related to scaly leg mite which I do have a history of and possibly still have. I have tried so many things including retreatment. I even purchased that expensive spray for scaly leg and it didn't help at all. What can I do for them? Since he possibly has kidney or liver issues I can't use anything that processes through them. Maybe I should try the olive oil again but that won't help his feathers. I'd prefer not to stress him out with a bath.

Back
Top Bottom