Mustard colored urates, stool otherwise normal

There are a number of things that occur to me from reading through this post....

I have concerns about their feed.... You mention black bits on grains.... is it a grain mix (rather than a pellet of crumble) you are feeding them.... you mention there is a lot of waste which would tie in with that. Birds will bill out and scratch through a grain mix to find and eat their favourite components which leads to a dietary imbalance and waste of the less preferred parts of the mix, usually the higher protein pulses. You mention that your hen has liver problems which is something these grain mixes can cause. It sounds like you give them two different types of feed..... if one is a grain mix, they will usually eat that in preference to a pellet or crumble simply because they can pick the "best bits" out. How do you offer the grain mix.... ie ad lib in a feeder or a small amount each day thrown down for them to scratch about for and clean up so that they are more likely to eat everything rather than starve... If they have another source of food, they are unlikely to eat up the less attractive components and their diet will be skewed.

Since you have a history with Marek's. this is the likely cause. You mention that the hen was harassing him and that was when he started getting wobbly
I've never seen a hen like that before. She would spar with him and he would always go down on that leg
It is common that birds will develop neurological issues with Marek's as a result of stress.
Marek's birds are often vulnerable to coccidiosis. The virus suppresses the immune system making them more prone to parasites and infections that stronger healthier birds would have resistance to. The Marek's itself will lie dormant sometimes for significant periods of time... weeks months or sometimes even years... but the immune system may be compromised even during that dormant phase. He is certainly the right age to be suffering from it.

To me, the blood and tissue at the root indicates that the feather has been plucked out. One of the photos appears to be a new feather still partially in it's sheath and my guess would be that it has been pulled out, probably by one of the other hens particularly if you have one that is harassing him. Just because you have not witnessed them pecking him, does not mean it has not happened and unless his feathers are falling out when you handle him, that is the most likely cause. Other birds will often pick on a sick bird and Marek's birds seem to be a common target.

I am not familiar with the products you are using because I am in the UK but I would recommend a good poultry vitamin supplement like Nutri Drench or Rooster Booster Poultry Cell and perhaps some little slivers of raw liver or meat to give him some iron and additional B vitamins as well as build up his protein. If he will not eat it whole, blend it and mix with his crumbles and a little water. Personally I would stop the grain mix (if you are using one) as it is difficult to provide them in a way that ensures a balanced diet.

IMG_7579.JPG
IMG_7578.JPG
IMG_7577.JPG
Here is a pic of the feed in question. Unfortunately the manufacturer date was on a tag that is no longer on the bag.

You can see the black speckles pretty clear in this photo.

Also all I have are his overnight stools. I'm heading into town now. Would that work for the vet? I'm sure it's dried some and may destroy anything he would find.

I'm concerned it's mareks too. Is it possible for him to just have the weak leg going forward without going into full blown paralysis?

He lost three more feathers overnight that came out of his shaft but they were smaller and not large.

Both of their feeds are starter crumbles. Occasionally I will toss in old fashioned oats.

The specks in the feed could possibly be a feed additive, such as minerals or vitamins, or something like that, but if there is any doubt, I would remove it and change brands.

The overnight droppings should be good for a fecal testing. Glad that @ rebrascora chimed in with a detailed post.

Put your sample in a plastic bag, the vet should be able to work with it.
He's only 20weeks, so I would expect for him to still be feathering in some and possibly going through some mini molts. I agree with @rebrascora the feather(s) look to be broken off/pulled out. If he is being harassed, separating him would give him a break so he has a better chance to recover. A large dog kennel within the coop works well if you have room, this way he is still near the flock.

The little black bits, I have seen that in crumbles and even in cracked corn, I "think" it's probably part of the "heart" of corn that has been dried, could be whatever they add for vitamins/minerals. DE is also usually added to feed along with ash, so any of those things are probably what you see.
One thing I have noticed in my tractor supply - organic feed is not popular. I have seen very old manufacturing dates on those feed bags. I don't use organic feed, but I'm one of "those people" who looks at tags. You even have to watch the more "popular" feeds that they sell, sometimes there's a bag or two on the shelf that's old too, probably cleaning out the stock room or something.

Last edited:
I'm concerned it's mareks too. Is it possible for him to just have the weak leg going forward without going into full blown paralysis?

Yes it is possible that the paralysis does not progress and he may even fully recover from it, although the longer he has it, the less chance of a full recovery but I have had a couple of Marek's birds that were nest bound for weeks with paralysis and eventually made it back to free ranging with the flock a few month later with a slight limp but miraculously improved. They still carry the disease but it has resumed it's dormant phase (gone into remission if you like) until the next outbreak which can be weeks months or occasionally years later.

Did you by chance feed them extra protein during this time? I'm curious if it's just my imagination that this helps. I've always heard their immunity was based on protein and during moults when their protein is going toward new feathers seems to be prime targets for my chickens.

You have to be careful not to over feed protein as too much is as bad as too little. I tend to use chick crumbs for Marek's sick birds and ferment it to improve their gut health and giving it wet means that they are less likely to become dehydrated and I don't need to worry about if they are drinking enough. So vitamin supplements and good nutrition to support the immune system and build them back up and probiotics to boost the digestive system to enable/ensure absorption.
Marek's is a wasting disease so protein is important to rebuild muscle and the essential amino acids in meat promote muscle growth. Added to that the extra B vitamins and iron in liver and it is a good treat for recuperating birds but I alternate it with a little scrambled egg or whatever else I have. Keeping them enthusiastic about food is more important than force feeding them what we think is good for them, so it is about tempting them to eat the right things rather than pushing things that they don't want/like, so you have to be flexible and inventive. Stressing a Marek's bird is counter productive.

Yes I'm trying to avoid stress at all costs. Do you have a link on how you ferment? I've always wanted to try but afraid I would mess up.

I am alternating between rooster booster multivitamins and apple cider vinegar. Never at the same time though

I don't have a link I'm afraid but I just put the feed in a small tub or bucket with a lid. Add enough water (I use boiled water that has cooled to warm or tepid because there is a lot of chlorine in tap water at this time of year) to cover it, give it a stir and loosely cover. Check and stir an hour or so later when the pellets or crumbles will have broken down and add more water if it is too thick/dry.... you are aiming for a dropping consistency. Too wet is better than too dry because you can always add more dry feed when you come to serve it up if it is too sloppy, but if it is too dry it will struggle to ferment. Cover and leave somewhere at room temperature. Stir the next day and recover and by the second or third day it should be naturally fermenting. Keeping it loosely covered is important to prevent mould growth. You can add a tiny splash of raw ACV to start the process or soak some scratch grains in water for a day or two and then drain off and use that water as the grains will have natural yeasts on their surface. But it will ferment itself eventually without anything to start it. You will know when it is working and the texture will become bubbly and the smell will be yeasty and pleasant. Then you just dish some up for the chucks and add more dry feed and water to the remainder, stir and loosely cover. It really is very easy. I stand the bucket on top of my fridge in the utility room out of the way. I also soak/ferment a small amount of grains/scratch rather than giving them dry as they break down so much easier and they swell to nearly double their size so a small amount looks like a lot more than it is.

Back
Top Bottom