Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Scratch grains is indeed only for adult chickens if you read the label. The earliest on chicken feed charts it is recommended is 28 weeks or greater. Technically not adult till a year of age. There is better protein out there as well such as dried mealworms.
Good grief..Seriously it's not a big deal. I raise many Birds without issues here. Many chicks started with Broody hens.
We all do things differently...

Last edited:
This thread has certainly gone off track to the OP's question. To the OP: you certainly know what caused your feed to go bad. I, too, keep feed in the original #50 bag. That bag goes into a galvanized, 20 gallon trash can which sits inside another galvanized, 31 gallon trash can which sits outside the coop. I only have 5 chickens which free range daily so they really don't go through a lot of feed quickly, but I've never had feed go bad due to moisture, mold, etc. You just need to store your feed differently. The vittles vaults that Melky posted about earlier are certainly an option, but anything here made of plastic and stored outside becomes useless after a while since the squirrels chew holes in it.

I gave him three rounds of corid at the correct dosage and for the correct duration back in October and November and it kept recurring. I refused to go another round as it had proven to me it was not going to work and I lost a hen years ago to thiamine deficiency from repeated corid use. As a last resort I diluted one drop of oregano per two tsp of olive oil and gave him one drop twice a day for one week and then once a day for two weeks. This is the only thing that worked for him so I have to respectfully disagree with you on that. I use both western and natural medicine based on what works. I usually start with western medicine and if that fails I move to alternatives. I have never been a fan of oregano but it actually did work when nothing else would.

Pale comb and yellow urates could also be lice, mites, or worms. I would check for these as well. If no improvement on good feed, water, no treats would see a vet as problem may have gone on too long.

Scratch grains is indeed only for adult chickens if you read the label. The earliest on chicken feed charts it is recommended is 28 weeks or greater. Technically not adult till a year of age. There is better protein out there as well such as dried mealworms but I think we digress as we really are dealing with a rooster whom she thinks may not still be feeling quite right. I wouldn’t provide treats at this time for sure. Sav a chick is helpful as quick pick me up in short term usuallly for 5 days then just fresh water and see if helps perk them up.
I do have him on rooster booster which is pretty much the same as sav a chick but without the food coloring. I do this a few times a week.

This thread has certainly gone off track to the OP's question. To the OP: you certainly know what caused your feed to go bad. I, too, keep feed in the original #50 bag. That bag goes into a galvanized, 20 gallon trash can which sits inside another galvanized, 31 gallon trash can which sits outside the coop. I only have 5 chickens which free range daily so they really don't go through a lot of feed quickly, but I've never had feed go bad due to moisture, mold, etc. You just need to store your feed differently. The vittles vaults that Melky posted about earlier are certainly an option, but anything here made of plastic and stored outside becomes useless after a while since the squirrels chew holes in it.
I definitely will go back to keeping their feed in my house. I keep it shut with sometging to keep it from going stale to the air.

Pale comb and yellow urates could also be lice, mites, or worms. I would check for these as well. If no improvement on good feed, water, no treats would see a vet as problem may have gone on too long.
He has had weird instances of losing feathers with blood on the ends. I still haven't figured out this enigma. I have dusted him and looked him over and found nothing. I was told by someone there is such a thing as a depluming mite and that is a possibility but it seems the treatment for that is ivermectin and I am afraid to use that given his recent health problems. I did read about something called flower sulfur I think.

Sounds like the vet is in order then. Loosing feathers with blood on ends could be lice or mites. I would check him out thoroughly. Here is an article that may help to identify if have the problem and treatment.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-fleas-dealing-with-external-parasites.74599/
Hope he feels better. Good Luck! :)
Thanks! I have an avian vet in Cincinnati but since he is improving I have held off on going. It's a two hour drive for me and I'm trying not to stress him right now. Being away from my two hens plus a car ride would stress him. This all started three weeks ago. He is about 75% improved. I'd give him a 100% improvement rating if his urates would turn all the way white. That has improved drastically. It started off green. Then mustard yellow and now its light yellow. He has made good progress. Still losing a few feathers. Still pale. But his energy is normal now. I did read that you can take a sample of the feather or some skin around the feather like with a qtip and see if the vet sees evidence of mites like the depluming mite. I can take that to my local vet and I may give him a call. He's ok for simple things like that.

Back
Top Bottom