Need Help Picking Out Chickens

NakedNeck

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
I need some help to pick out some more breeds of chickens to get from Ideal.
ya.gif

This is my list so far....

Ameraucanas
Buff Brahma
Black Jersey Giant
Buff Orpington
Naked Neck
Cochin
Black Australorp
*Surprise Special Pullet*

Is there a breed that goes broody easily that is available on Ideal Hatchery?

Thanks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they're available right now, but silkies go broody very readily. They are also doing VERY well with my standard sized birds. Langshan cockerel included!
big_smile.png

Do you think a standard Cochin rooster would be to heavy for a bantam silkie?

Last edited:
Quote:
I have seen your cockerel. That's not a langshan, that's a great dane with feathers.
lol.png

Last edited:
LOL!!!!

Except he doesn't drool! well...much...
big_smile.png

NakedNeck, the great thing with bantam females being covered by standard males, is that they have an increased chance of "getting away" while the male is trying to figure out how to make it work.

Chances are...he'll give up altogether eventually.

NakedNeck, you don't mention what color brahma you were thinking of getting from Ideal. I have all three colors - light, dark and buff - from Ideal.
My lights are sweet girls, but not close at all to the standard for brahmas, with the exception of one.
My buffs are also sweet girls, a few of them are standoffish. All are marked beautifully except for Lilith; only she turned out beautiful precisely because she doesn't have the correct markings (if that makes sense).
My darks are closest to the breed standard and are my best layers. I adore my dark brahma roo.
My darks and buffs are at the size they should be for the brahma, my lights are a little small.

Last edited:
Kraienkoppes are very broody. I had a few of the BB red ones from Ideal. They are also excellent mothers, and quite docile and friendly.

Does anyone else have any chickens the recomend?
I am open to any breed, but I am not too sure on bantams because they are straight run..
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom