need help pls - white cochins, 3 weeks old - sex??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by technodoll, Jul 12, 2011.

1. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    These babies are for sale, the seller has 4 white cochins from McMurray just over 3 weeks old of age.

I don't know if all 4 are in the below pics or if they are of the same ones, but what should I be looking for to identify girls?

I'm not allowed any more boys!!

Please ignore the silkies in the pics :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANK YOU!!

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Some look older than 3 weeks.....
    I know with all mt Cochin..I thought they were GIRLS, but then at 6 weeks old, it got a big red comb over night and crowed....so it can be really hard to tell...and if they really are 3 weeks old, there will be no good sign for you at that age.

3. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    There's a silkie and cochins in that pic, no idea on sex.
    ETA- Sorry, just read there was a silkie, lol. Most breeds the females feather quicker, so pick ones with the most feathers and you might end up with a girl.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  4. rosegal

rosegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Tustin, CA
    roos they have the roos stare

5. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    the seller is sending me better pics today, hopefully that will help...

i appreciate your input!

(just don't want to be dumped with 4 roos otherwise there is no point in buying them...)

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    In the last pic, the cochin closest to the fence looks like a pullet, the other looks kind of rooish. Here's a pic of one of my white cochin(LF) girls (also from McMurray) for comparrison. She's about 12 weeks old now, but her comb has been the same for weeks. Better pics of their combs would definately help. Good luck!
    [​IMG]

7. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Strange...my cochin never looked like that. He was never "gangly" at all. Always fat and round. I wouldn't have thought those were cochins....but I am newly hatched so...[​IMG]

8. Hegatha

Hegatha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Washington
    Its hard to tell from the pics but the one in front in the last photo looks like a roo.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    With my white cochins they took FOREVER to feather out! Both hens and roos. I'm seeing one roo in there I think but cant' see the combs of the others. The one right next to the wall looks like a roo to me. can't see the others enough to tell though.

ETA: Looking at the pics better I noticed that the one I thought was roo was actually standing in the front but his head is next to the fence. Didn't see the one standing kind of under here actually next to the fence...I looked at the other posts and wondered how they though that one looked like a hen and now I see why LOL And I agree, the one actually closest to the wall looks like a hen.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by