need help pls - white cochins, 3 weeks old - sex??

technodoll

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Quebec, Canada
These babies are for sale, the seller has 4 white cochins from McMurray just over 3 weeks old of age.

I don't know if all 4 are in the below pics or if they are of the same ones, but what should I be looking for to identify girls?

I'm not allowed any more boys!!

Please ignore the silkies in the pics :)

IMG_2999.jpg

IMG_2998.jpg

IMG_2997.jpg

THANK YOU!!

Some look older than 3 weeks.....
I know with all mt Cochin..I thought they were GIRLS, but then at 6 weeks old, it got a big red comb over night and crowed....so it can be really hard to tell...and if they really are 3 weeks old, there will be no good sign for you at that age.

There's a silkie and cochins in that pic, no idea on sex.
ETA- Sorry, just read there was a silkie, lol. Most breeds the females feather quicker, so pick ones with the most feathers and you might end up with a girl.

Last edited:
the seller is sending me better pics today, hopefully that will help...

i appreciate your input!

(just don't want to be dumped with 4 roos otherwise there is no point in buying them...)

In the last pic, the cochin closest to the fence looks like a pullet, the other looks kind of rooish. Here's a pic of one of my white cochin(LF) girls (also from McMurray) for comparrison. She's about 12 weeks old now, but her comb has been the same for weeks. Better pics of their combs would definately help. Good luck!
86165_070711100259.jpg

Strange...my cochin never looked like that. He was never "gangly" at all. Always fat and round. I wouldn't have thought those were cochins....but I am newly hatched so...
wink.png

With my white cochins they took FOREVER to feather out! Both hens and roos. I'm seeing one roo in there I think but cant' see the combs of the others. The one right next to the wall looks like a roo to me. can't see the others enough to tell though.

ETA: Looking at the pics better I noticed that the one I thought was roo was actually standing in the front but his head is next to the fence. Didn't see the one standing kind of under here actually next to the fence...I looked at the other posts and wondered how they though that one looked like a hen and now I see why LOL And I agree, the one actually closest to the wall looks like a hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom