Need Help! Rescued a Quail Chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KamJoe, Oct 22, 2018.

1. KamJoe

KamJoe Hatching

Oct 22, 2018
    Hey folks,

Sorry to ask by I need some advice here. So I rescued this quail hatchling and while it was very lively yesterday I find it to be very sleepy and for what I assume to be a long time. I’ve provided the correct temperature in the back of his little box, some food that the pet shop gave me especially for birds hatchlings and clean water. I first had to feed him some small ants since I had no ‘emergency’ food at the time of his rescue. He doesn’t seem to feed himself at all even though I have dispersed some proper food around him. Now the problem is that all it does since 12 hours now is sleeping. So right now I gave him a little bit of water which he drank, tried to feed him (without success except from a couple of ants).

So the questions: How long does a baby quail sleep? Could he be sick? He was exposed to the outside medium 25 Celsius until I found it.

Any help is appreciated,
    Thanking you in anticipation.

2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!!

Electrolytes in the water and tiny bits of hard boiled eggs would be good. You can take the egg yolk and sprinkle the crums on him and around. Baby birds do sleep a lot but he should be eating.

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  3. ButtonquailGirl14

ButtonquailGirl14 Free Ranging

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Pics. Give Nutri-drench or sav-a-chick as soon as possible... heat lamp? keep it warm. get it buddies. does it have access to water?

4. KamJoe

KamJoe Hatching

Oct 22, 2018
    Thank you I’ll try the egg thing. I do not have a heat lamp nor can I find one in the area but I did put a normal lamp in the back of his box and I mesured the temperature with a IR Gun so it’s indeed at 93-98 degrees.

5. KamJoe

KamJoe Hatching

Oct 22, 2018

Edit: He has access to water but be doenst seem to roam at all in his box.

6. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    ok, as long as he stays warm. can you get pics of him? he may be a quail that is hand fed my his mom...

7. KamJoe

KamJoe Hatching

Oct 22, 2018
    Here are 2 pics of him. He stays in that position and sometime take his head up in a rapid spams. I’m kind of worried I’m waiting for the eggs to be ready.

Attached Files:

8. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    side pic??? it doesn't look like a quail at all!

9. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    What are those yellow round balls???? if its from the feed store chances are they had NO CLUE what their talking about. get high protein chicks starter!

10. ButtonquailGirl14

Jul 13, 2017
    Northport WA
    Are you on???? this may be a important matter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: