Need help.. Sick & lethargic

I think I would hold off worming until you are done with the Baytril to avoid stressing the system. Did the vet tell you how long to give the Baytril? If not, I would call and ask. I think I would dose for the full course now that you started to avoid the chance of starting a strain of bacteria that is resistant to Baytril.

I apologize for not writing sooner, and want to pass my condolences on your losses. My work schedule is pretty demanding so I don't spend a lot of time here. I know you are doing all that you can do, and please let me know when you bring in a horse! It's going to happen one of these days...
big_smile.png
The Baytril was the drug that was 1st prescribed. Metro was the "last resort", but the bird died before we got there.

Thanks for your contribution. It's appreciated, and thanks for the condolences.

My gf did joke.... "It's a matter of time before I bring a horse inside".... No. No it's not.

The Baytril was the drug that was 1st prescribed. Metro was the "last resort", but the bird died before we got there.

My gf did joke.... "It's a matter of time before I bring a horse inside".... No. No it's not.
I did read the whole thread and know that the Baytril was first. But since it was started, I would be inclined to go the full course. Stopping a med too soon contributes to antibiotic resistance. And for the record, I don't know if the birds notice but Metronidazole DOES taste nasty! It's related to the drug they use to get people to quit dringing, too. So any alcohol can make you violently ill, even if applied topically.

I think I would hold off worming until you are done with the Baytril to avoid stressing the system.  Did the vet tell you how long to give the Baytril?  If not, I would call and ask.  I think I would dose for the full course now that you started to avoid the chance of starting a strain of bacteria that is resistant to Baytril. 

I apologize for not writing sooner, and want to pass my condolences on your losses.  My work schedule is pretty demanding so I don't spend a lot of time here.  I know you are doing all that you can do, and please let me know when you bring in a horse!  It's going to happen one of these days...   :D

You better start making room inside for that horse. I DEMAND that you do it now! :gig

I did read the whole thread and know that the Baytril was first. But since it was started, I would be inclined to go the full course. Stopping a med too soon contributes to antibiotic resistance. And for the record, I don't know if the birds notice but Metronidazole DOES taste nasty! It's related to the drug they use to get people to quit dringing, too. So any alcohol can make you violently ill, even if applied topically.
Not when you get "CHERRY" flavored Metro.
idunno.gif
We gots the hook-ups, yo.

Interesting facts about stopping an antibiotic too soon. I did not know that.

Pics as proof...

Those bottles in the background? Our prescriptions....
big_smile.png

Here's one from last night after getting tucked in:

I absolutely agree that the bird was dying when we were at the vet. Would he have lived had he been given Metro at the vet that afternoon, maybe, but I don't think he would have. He was getting worse as we sat and consulted with the vet (we talked for about 30 mins.) You don't sound insensitive at all. It's part of having animals. I'm ok with where we are at because I know that I've done everything that I could to proactively address these issues, and it's been a great learning experience. 

The doses are as follows:

.5 ML Metro

2.5 ML Baytril

If we have a conflict, I'll post it here, and have her follow-up with the AAAP Manual. 

We have not wormed, yet, but will add this to the line-up for this evening. 

What strengths are they? How many mg per ml? FYI, the first "avian" vet that I saw had not seen peafowl or turkeys and prescribed too low a dose of metronidazole and the wrong wormer. I went back to the same office a few days later and a different vet changed wormer and increased the metronidazole to the proper amount. Maybe those birds would have lived if I hadn't wasted three days giving the wrong dose...

What strengths are they? How many mg per ml? FYI, the first "avian" vet that I saw had not seen peafowl or turkeys and prescribed too low a dose of metronidazole and the wrong wormer. I went back to the same office a few days later and a different vet changed wormer and increased the metronidazole to the proper amount. Maybe those birds would have lived if I hadn't wasted three days giving the wrong dose...
Metro: 100mg/ml
Baytril: 10mg/ml

Thanks for the support.

We have learned A LOT over the past two days.

I am confused about the babies on the ground thing. Could you clarify this? What do you DO with babies younger than 6 mos? Where do you keep them, and house them? What if they're with mom?

I have a complete respect for how quickly things can go sideways with young birds. I am glad that I have had this experience now, rather than months, or years down the road, and I hope that this thread can help other who are new in the peababy game just how fast things can go sideways. I will definitely be more in tune with my birds going forward. Thanks again.
There are a couple of ways to get them off the ground. The first is to build something like this:

Another way is to construct a covered shelter on concrete. A third way is to construct a covered shelter and place 4 inches of clean course sand on top of the natural ground. All three of these methods reduce the chance of ingesting a disease carrier.

If you want them to stay with momma, you are going to have to take a chance. If you have an enclosure that is free from history of other poultry and is large enough to provide large amounts of space per bird, you will have a better chance. Free ranging with other birds increases your risk.

Back
Top Bottom