Need help some bad looking chicken eyes!

grmacin

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 21, 2013
I noticed my hens eye the other day very red , swollen, looking infected. Otherwise still eating and drinking acting normal. Today I noticed another with the same looking eye but this one had some clear discharge coming out her nostrils ( if that's what they are called). After reading online im wondering if its a sinus infection or something like that. I cleaned them both by flushing with seline s
olution, wiping out all the pus. Then used polysporin eye drops , and antibiotics in there water after I separated them ftomthe rest of the flock.

It looks like a respiratory infection such as mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG or CRD) or coryza. They will cause swelling of the sinuses. There are others depending on symptoms. What antibiotic are you using? Tylosin (Tylan), erythromycin (Gallimycin), and tetracycline are used to treat MG. Sulfa drugs such as sulfadimthoxine (Di-Methox) will treat coryza best. Coryza frequently has a bad odor, but I also have heard that MG can too. These diseases make carriers of surviving chickens. Here is a list of common diseases and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
The antibiotic is called Neo Chlor it contains neomycin and tetracycline. A water soluble antibiotic. I am in my first year having hens and have not had an problems like this. Thank you for your information very helpful.

Tylan Soluble Powder is water soluble, and Tylan50 injection is given by some people orally, but it works best as a shot into the breast muscle. Gallimycin (erythromycin) is also a good water soluble treatment. I just looked up the Neochlor--it will treat CRD and E.Coli, so you can try it for a few days.

If injecting drugs into a chicken, there is less chances of hitting a nerve in the breast muscle. Some will also inject under the skin in the back of the neck. Have you noticed if she has a bad odor to her head? If so, I would probably change to a sulfa drug like Di-Methox or Sulmet in the water.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom