NEED HELP! What benefits/ important things to know about ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maralynn28

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2010
Corpus Christi, TX
Ok, so I'm VERY new at this...my ducklings are only 4 wks old and I ate my first duck egg 1 yr ago. Since getting my ducks, my neighbors and fellow students at the college have been asking me about them, why I got them (if I'm going to eat them
ep.gif
hit.gif
) and when I reply DUCK EGGS instead...everyone seems puzzled. One of my instructors overheard me talking about them and has asked me to do a 10 minute presentation about ducks, duck eggs and the benefits/ cooking with duck eggs.
I'm shocked, I admit I never heard about duck eggs being edible until 1 yr ago, but I got mine at a local farmers market and I thought they were a big deal around here! Apparently not and I'm taking it upon myself to educate the community about them! LOL!!!! My instructor is so interested she's already placed a duck egg order with me when mine start producing...um, maybe in 14 more weeks? ha ha ha Sorry, I guess I am passionate about this subject and it definitely interests me, but am really surprised that as ignorant as I am- I get to teach everyone else.
wink.png

So what would you think are the most important things people should know about productive ducks and duck eggs? I know they are bigger and have a slightly different flavor and texture, but are the nutritional values the same, better, worse than chicken eggs? What other benefits should I tell them about?

I'm so nervous about this, I did take a public speaking class and know how to organize speeches but NEVER got over the stage fright issue! Hopefully it goes well.

Last edited:
I took a public speaking class too, and my final project was to speak on a topic I liked.

Here's me and Miss Floppy getting an A. Good luck - presentations are only a part of the work.

2593_3507340480_ecc893b599_s2_2.jpg

They are far, far better for baking than chicken eggs. For whatever reason (I'm sure there's some long, complicated chemical formula, though I don't have it
smile.png
), cakes baked with duck eggs are richer tasting, and more homemade in their density than those baked with chicken eggs.

Whenever I bake (and I bake a lot of cakes), they are all I will use.

Unfortunately, I believe the cholesterol levels are a bit higher, as well.

A little tid bid about cholesterol. The body can only absorb 10% of the cholesterol it eats. The rest it makes itself from unfavorable carbohydrates like sugar. So no worry when it comes to eating eggs.
Katharina

Thanks for the posts!
I did buy the Storey's guide, I'm sure it will be very helpful but there is SO much info- I'm not sure what to filter out and what to include...the part about colors and show info I won't talk about for sure but I don't think I need to get into the nitty gritty of incubation, brooding etc either...what IS important to talk about, I was hoping for help with. I know I want to cover that they are easier to take care of, don't require medication and are great helpers in the garden and compost but beyond that I don't know.
hmm.png

The part about cooking and cholestrol is definitely helpful!
big_smile.png
Has anyone had issues with duck eggs altering the recipe TOO much? quantity to use vs chicken eggs, flavor changes/ enhancements? What is your favorite duck egg recipe?

Duck eggs have a lower water content and larger yolks.

They are ideal for baking since they have less water to cause the flour to glutenate and become gooey. Cakes and other leavened or yeasted recipes can be u to 20% higher when duck eggs are used. Unfortunately boxed mixes are designed to be used with old crappy chicken eggs so you might have to tweak them a bit for duck eggs.

The lower water content makes them cook faster if you are frying them, but they become somewhat rubbery when hard boiled. A lot of people who enjoy frying them say they are like eating an egg steak.

For egg dominant recipes, scrambled eggs, soufles, egg custards, etc. a mix of 1/2 duck and 1/2 chicken almost always works better than pure duck since duck eggs are somewhat heavy. The richness added by the duck eggs to these recipes makes them soooooooo good. I make old fashioned cooked custard ice cream for events and people beg me for more.

My layer ducks, Khaki Cambells lay eggs that are 20 to 30% bigger than my standard size laying hens and lay probably 20% more eggs thru the year. They lay later into the winter, but are slightly slower to start up layign in the spring. Going into their 3rd year they are laying more consisitently than chickens of the same age.

They forage very actively when let out to roam. The slug population in my yard has dropped 80% at least since the ducks started foraging. Cut worms are becoming hard to find where we use to turn them up regularly. Since I have an acre and a 1/2 for them to roam they havne't been destructive to my plantings unlike the chickens who regularly dig things up. The ducks destruction comes more from stomping on plants than eating them. THey will work their bills into nice soft potting soil in planted pots and empty them of plants within 5 minutes of you setting the pot down. They climb into any container of water, even if they don't fit. If they can't climb into it they rinse their bills in it. Always check you glass before drinking, even beer and coffee. Coffe hides dirt, eye it carefully if it's been left unattended.

Their pooping is voluminous and LOUD, but is more liquid and disappears into the grass faster than chicken poo.

They produce 5 times the mess of a chicken and mine are LOUDER than my rooster when they are complaining or want something, usually to be let out. THey had to be locked itn eh garage when the neighbors had a weddign next door.

Good luck with your report.

Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
Crazy ducks...ours have been kept locked up so far but I'll definitely keep this in mind when it's warmer out (meaning I will be outside all day and duckies will be roaming) I'm sure they can ruin iced tea and lemonade too.

Thank you, I do know some of this information but it sure helps to get others experiences and expand my knowledge. My sis did a boiled duck egg, I warned her NOT to but that's her and now she's scared to eat duck eggs any other way.
roll.png
I made a buttermilk pie with them, like a custard pie...best pie ever made but I think I will have to cut back the butter more next time since the eggs seemed to add their own 'butteriness.'

Columbiacritter...any way to get that custard icecream recipe from you?
fl.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom