Need Help! What do I do about my aggressive drakes?

awyman

Songster
Apr 5, 2019
West Virginia
For the past 3 months, my drakes have been super aggressive towards my females. Constantly trying to mate. I know that’s normal but it’s gotten worse and worse. I have more males than females, but at first it was fine. There was no overbreeding, no injured necks. Everything was fine. They have about 3 acres they roam, so I figured my ratio would be okay because they had so much space. But overtime I found out I was wrong. 2 of my girls have injured necks, there are no feathers on their necks whatsoever. I treat them, but it never seems to work. I’m thinking I’ll have to separate the 2 females for a couple of days. But I know that won’t help in the long run. I don’t want to sell my drakes, I’m so attached. I was going to order more females, but with COVID-19 spreading I don’t want to take the risk of my order getting delayed and having dead ducklings. What should I do about my drakes? Has anyone had this problem before? I can’t help but feel guilty, I need help.

What's your ratio? Keeping more males than females just won't work no matter your setup, you can either sell/butcher your males or separate the males from the flock, or you could, of course, buy more females. You could buy grown ones from Craiglist or a duck breeder near you. I suggest you take action ASAP before another one of the hens gets seriously hurt.

You need to separate them even if you get more hens. Unless you can get adults. If you order babies you still have 6 months before they are big enough. I had a drake kill one of my little hens by squishing her to death. And he had three hens ,he just wanted that one. Off to drake jail until hormones calmed down. Please separate your drakes a nd hens. After a month or so you could put one and only one in with them..

Update! We’ve started building a enclosure for the drakes. We built a nice size pond today, so they’d have access to a large supply of water. Already got their house built, just have to put fencing up. It’s going to be a fairly large enclosure so I hope they’ll be happy. Hopefully it’s only temporary until I can get more females. I’ll post pictures once it’s finished. :)

Back
Top Bottom