Need help - when do people REALLY become adults???

Some people never become adults. Sigh. My husband is 40, and I'm still waiting for him to grow up.
duc.gif

Your an adult when you start taking on the responsibilities of an adult. By that I mean you choose to take them on, your mom doesn't have to make you. When you realize life is not fair, that sometimes hardwork is its own reward, when you do the right thing simply because you know you should, when you shoulder your share of the weight in the family ( do you help cook, clean, shop, laundry).

If your mom still has to use threats to get your room clean, put your dishes you left out in the dishwasher, fill up the gas tank because you conveniently forgot to or gives you an allowance your not an adult just yet. Keep working at it.

Quote:
This is so true I called my MOM up and told her I was sorry forever giving her such a hard time growing up and told her she WAS RIGHT and was glad that she raised me to be the way I am today....

If your child wants to be an adult treat her like one make her start paying bills to you and every meal or piece of food she eats charge her for ity and tell her she can't have/use it till she pays for it and I guess you will be sleeping on the ground outside or the floor seeing how you can't pay me rent I will bet you she will get down off the high horse in about a week or two (I know I did) lol.

Quote:
Men never do we just act like it for you ladies so you will get off our Butts about growing up/ Acting are age...
Here's a secret It will never happen and to prove it look at your male (whatever) and just say the word FART!!! and he will smile or snicker under his breath I bet you he will do it and find out..........Why cause we are 12 year old boys inside outside we are grown men and we need to ACT that way (act being the key word here)

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you for serving our country. This is a great thing you're doing. I think - but don't really know - that boot camp is going to give you the skills to deal with what you will be doing (and seeing). And what you will be doing (and seeing) is not for kids.

I also think that you will see young children who have never been able to be kids...what they see and do is not the stuff we think of that makes up childhood.

Thanks - all of you - this is all some REALLY great stuff! I look forward to more and more and will be working on the book over the next 3 weeks. When I'm done, I'll post a link so all of you can see it
smile.png

Kelly, Dig up and post a link to the scientific studies that show what greenfamily farms said - the frontal lobe does not finish developing until you are somewhere between 23 and 25!! That means full judgement hasn't kicked in yet.

I tell my kids you have maybe 20 years to be a kid and 80 years of adulthood. Yes, there is what looks like freedom, but you are an adult when you realize that adulthood means giving up more of your freedom in order to accept your responsibilities to yourself and others. ie I want to quit my job but I have bills to pay, I want to eat junk food all the time but I need to stay healthy for my family's sake, I want to party all night but I need to take care of my kids and that money is needed elsewhere. I was freer as a child.

When you are completely dependant on yourself for all your needs and wants. For example:

doing your own laundry
cooking your own meals and cleaning your own dishes
paying for your own car, car insurance, health insurance, cell phone, college education, clothes and toiletries
paying rent, even if you live in your parent's home, if you declare your independance from them, you owe them rent, utilities and groceries

To the child of Kelly G:
Honey,

Being an adult is boring. It's hard work and no one cooks for you when you don't feel like it and no one brings you soup when you're sick. I'd rethink declaring my independance until AFTER you get them to pay for college, by the time you graduate from college you'll be able to get a great job and afford all those freedoms and no one would expect you to move back home. Anyway, college was fun!

Backyardchickenrancher, read your post, and I did not smile or snicker under my breath. I burst out laughing. You are right on target. I am 69 chronologically and 12 years old on the inside. I like it that way. Makes the day go by faster. The Princess- she tolerates it. Guess the good makes up for the bad. Julie, started paying rent at 21 and started paying mortgage at 24, paid it off by 34; therefore, I'm not sure you are correct about men and maturity.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom