1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Need help with Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Deerlix, May 16, 2016.

1. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I assume all the other chickens have gone out, huh?

I'm thinking of having you try something. Is there one in the older bunch that is particularly docile and seems to go with the flow more than the others?

If you can try to find one of the older ones that wouldn't beat her up when you put them together in her cage, she would then have a buddy to bond with. This is a last resort sort of thing, and you might have to try several before you find one that will be a good fit.

Any older one you place in her cage is going to probably peck her once or twice to establish rank right off the bat, so wait for that to get out of the way before you judge. What you want to see is the two acting normally together, not the bigger one shoving the small one around and terrorizing her.

It could work out to where this chick will have the bond with another one that will help her in her acceptance into the flock, as well as help grow her self confidence. You won't know until you try it.

2. Deerlix

Deerlix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2016
    I have one very docile chicken, shes VERY small. shes 3 months old and is about the same size as the 3 week old chick. What would happen to her other friends? would they freak out if the 3 month old chicken is gone?

3. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    No, the rest of the flock will hardly notice. Besides, they will see the two on a regular basis as they return to the coop and run.

Go ahead and put them together! This could solve everything if it works!

I'll hang around. Come back and report on how it goes. Can you take some pics?

4. Deerlix

Apr 19, 2016
    Sure ill put them together right now!

5. Deerlix

Apr 19, 2016
    Its kinda weird... my older chicken is making weird sounds, and my little one is just jumping around like a manaic

6. Deerlix

Apr 19, 2016
    I have no idea what is happening. and I have no idea if its working or not, i dont know if it sounds good or bad

7. Deerlix

Apr 19, 2016
    my big chicken is making HORRIBLE SOUNDS that ive never heard before, and when I say HORRIBLE I MEAN HORRIBLE

8. Deerlix

Apr 19, 2016
    :/ I had to separate them, the chick surprisingly isnt chirping now? probably because she was so scared

9. Bantambird

Bantambird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    Montana
    If it is a solo chick, can you have a little house chicken until it is big enough? I have had solo chicks hatch from botched hatches, and since my DH is nearly homebound, he played mommy with the little one until it could join the others. It means petting and snuggling with them often. We had a hand mirror in there and an old mop head for it to hide under like a mommy hen, and my mother in law made diapers for it.....

10. azygous

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    From the sound of it, the older one was not on board with this scheme whatsoever. The "horrible" sound was probably a chicken growl, meaning "warning, leave, or I will pound you into the ground."

So yes, the small chick was scared speechless.

The age difference is just too much. But be on the look out for one of the others that may be much more laid back than any of the others. You could try it again if you can find a real easy going candidate.

Bantambird has a good suggestion. Why not bring the cage indoors and let the chick hang out with humans for a few weeks until it gets some size? Human companionship will work in a pinch to placate a lonely chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by