Need help with Appenzeller Spitzhauben

If you already have a precedent you might as well continue with this. Just remember that it is easy for the big ones to hurt, kill, even eat the little ones.

The problems won't crop up at night because, as you yourself pointed out, the big girls are just wanting to settle in for the night.

The danger lies in the morning when they all wake up. If the small chick doesn't have a safe enclosure, it could be targeted and injured as the chickens begin their day.

I feel that as long as you would rather keep the chick in the coop, which is what I would do, you need to keep it in its cage for its own safety. You can rig up whatever heat source you wish if it's too cold. I like the heating pad. It's been working great for my present four chicks who are nine days old, and it's been in the 30s at night.

I believe we've come full circle now. You were originally concerned about the chick losing its buddy and being lonely. You weren't sure how to handle its obvious distress. A heating pad cave could solve the problem, at least at night. It's warm and dark, and a couple of old socks rolled up and tucked in there with the chick would simulate other chick bodies for it to snuggle up to.

During the day, maybe you could bring the cage into your house so the chick wouldn't be lonely, and take it back to the coop again at night.

The problems won't crop up at night because, as you yourself pointed out, the big girls are just wanting to settle in for the night.

The danger lies in the morning when they all wake up. If the small chick doesn't have a safe enclosure, it could be targeted and injured as the chickens begin their day.

I feel that as long as you would rather keep the chick in the coop, which is what I would do, you need to keep it in its cage for its own safety. You can rig up whatever heat source you wish if it's too cold. I like the heating pad. It's been working great for my present four chicks who are nine days old, and it's been in the 30s at night.

I believe we've come full circle now. You were originally concerned about the chick losing its buddy and being lonely. You weren't sure how to handle its obvious distress. A heating pad cave could solve the problem, at least at night. It's warm and dark, and a couple of old socks rolled up and tucked in there with the chick would simulate other chick bodies for it to snuggle up to.

During the day, maybe you could bring the cage into your house so the chick wouldn't be lonely, and take it back to the coop again at night.

If you already have a precedent you might as well continue with this. Just remember that it is easy for the big ones to hurt, kill, even eat the little ones.

I agree with this

This is exactly what I'm going to do, thank you guys! ill be extra careful in the coop

What do you 2 think when I should let her roam outside? Shes now a month old (I believe )

Has she made a friend yet among the other birds? Even when introducing a single adult bird to a flock of adult birds they can gang up and kill a loner, even when the whole flock is the same age. Take it slowly and observe carefully, and see if she can make some connections before she gets thrown in with the others. Letting the rest of the flock see her and her them can get the process rolling. Once you do put her in, Observe behavior carefully and pull her out if there is any aggression!

Has she made a friend yet among the other birds? Even when introducing a single adult bird to a flock of adult birds they can gang up and kill a loner, even when the whole flock is the same age. Take it slowly and observe carefully, and see if she can make some connections before she gets thrown in with the others. Letting the rest of the flock see her and her them can get the process rolling. Once you do put her in, Observe behavior carefully and pull her out if there is any aggression!

theres this one bantam bird that I have and my little chick is terrified! The bantam actually looks like the hawk (not really) but hopefully she'll warm up to her

She kind of freaks out like she's trying to get out sometimes

What do the other birds do? She is scared because birds are violent towards each other, and she is aware of it. Do they growl at her, rush at her, or surround her? Do they raise their hackles? These are all aggressive behavior to watch for. Pecking order is established through fighting, and she is still too young for that. This is the biggest threat for her, she will be on the bottom no matter what she does being so much younger. Even a short spat that would put an older hen in her place in the pecking order might still kill your chick. If she can attach to an older bird, she can have a buddy to look out for her.

What do the other birds do? She is scared because birds are violent towards each other, and she is aware of it. Do they growl at her, rush at her, or surround her? Do they raise their hackles? These are all aggressive behavior to watch for. Pecking order is established through fighting, and she is still too young for that. This is the biggest threat for her, she will be on the bottom no matter what she does being so much younger. Even a short spat that would put an older hen in her place in the pecking order might still kill your chick. If she can attach to an older bird, she can have a buddy to look out for her.
0.jpg

This is her freaking out, sorry for the horrible camera quality, it was misty and rainy yesterday and my lens got water vapor in it. She's quite a handful. whenever she doesn't see me nor anyone else she starts freaking out.

Back
Top Bottom