Need help with baby chick!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Shay88, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Shay88

Shay88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2016
    East Peoria, IL
    When I came home from work today I noticed that one of my chicks vents is super swollen. I've never had baby chicks so I have no idea what the cause of this is and what I can do to help my poor little girl. I washed her bottom in some warm water and cleaned her up with a q-tip. There wasn't any hard poo blocking her up. She's just over two weeks old. I also noticed that she's not as big as the others. Please help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is she having trouble pooping?

See if she is drinking plenty of water. Also wouldn't hurt to make some chick grit available free choice.
    It looks like the vent is swollen, you can soak the bum in a warm bath of epsom salts and apply a little hemorrhoid cream, honey (to help reduce swelling) or if you don't have those, coconut oil or vaseline.

Offer wet chick starter and some poultry vitamins in her water. If she seems constipated - encourage her to drink - you can add a little molasses to her water - this has a laxative effect.

Keep us posted.

1 person likes this.
  3. The Phantom

The Phantom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2017
    Wisconsin
    Has she been outside? Try giving her medicated chick feed incase she has something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by