Need help with coop construction before snow hits - Silver Spring MD

I don't know how your comment will help me in my situation but thank you for taking time to comment

I think what he was trying to say was if you are not rushed by people wanting to donate free labour to a complete stranger then don't panic even a 64 yr old managed to build their own.

He was then giving you ideas on where to look for materials and ideas on how to do it on the cheap by suggesting the pallet coop.

Yes, they are in a coop right now but it is getting smaller as number and size of chicken grow. Most of them are on verge of becoming hens. So thought to have a bigger place for them

With the way this winter has been going, I wouldn't freak out too much about needing a bigger coop right now. I am sure we are gonna get some snow, and probably a few more cold days here and there like we are having right now. If I were you, and didn't have the time and/or resources right now to build a whole new coop, I would look into just "winterizing" your run, or throw together something temporary to get you through until spring, or until you have more time/resources. I doubt we are going to have weeks on end of freezing weather...

I met a TSC employee in Oklahoma who swore by using a plain old big Dogloo/Igloo for her "coop". Pretty inexpensive as coops go, weather proof if you block the wind from the doorway, and easy to pop apart and clean. It's the gathering eggs part that can be a PITA. If all else fails, it would buy you some time...

Thanks Res. Actually that is plan B. I have covered the coop with tarps for the time being and it keeps the coop free of wind and rain. You are right that collecting eggs is kind of pain. There is not enough space for all of them to lay inside so they have found places outside. But egg hunting is kinda fun too for my kids. What scares me is the diseases that could follow with too small space, poop-monsters and tarp covering. Otherwise I might be able to wait till spring

Back
Top Bottom