Need Help with Duck leg problem

Sugar Mountain

In the Brooder
May 19, 2015
We have 2 ducks (approx 2 mo. old) one started limping, then appeared to injure it's other foot. His hock joint is swollen and hot, no bumblefoot that I can tell, although could be early signs..middle toe swollen a few brown specks at tip of back claw. We've been giving our ducks niacin suppl. Don't think that's the issue. We have another with no problems in same environment. Bought vetericyn and applied it 2X a day, also gave 3 rounds of penicilin injections (1/4 cc 1X day) He was better and started standing but we read not to continue more than 3 days. He declined greatly again. How much penicilin? How long? any other suggestions?

We have 2 ducks (approx 2 mo. old) one started limping, then appeared to injure it's other foot. His hock joint is swollen and hot, no bumblefoot that I can tell, although could be early signs..middle toe swollen a few brown specks at tip of back claw. We've been giving our ducks niacin suppl. Don't think that's the issue. We have another with no problems in same environment. Bought vetericyn and applied it 2X a day, also gave 3 rounds of penicilin injections (1/4 cc 1X day) He was better and started standing but we read not to continue more than 3 days. He declined greatly again. How much penicilin? How long? any other suggestions?
Welcome to BYC

I don't have dosage for injectable but 3 days just doens't seem long enough. I know on my chart it shows for powder mixed into water it's 8-10 days maybe contact @casportpony and she can help with dosage.

How long has your duckling been limping and could it be an injury. Any way a vet can see your duck?

Would be best to consult a vet, but I understand that it's not an option for many people, myself included.

Everything I have read says that penicillin should be used cautiously in small birds do to the risk of procaine toxicity. If you really want to use antibiotis, can you buy a bottle of fish amoxicillin and give that orally instead? I think the would be much safer.

-Kathy

Thanks.
What form of antibiotic do you use that is in powder form and where can you purchase it? We've had trouble finding other alternate antibiotics. Fish antibiotics were also recommended but not sure where to find those either. I'll see if I can find someone who has the dosage. The bottle says to see the insert, but it didn't come with one and I can't find anything online on their website. I didn't know about procaine toxicity, so I'll read further on that.
Thanks!

Hi Kathy,
I read that fish amoxicillin works best on open wounds. Do you find that to be the case? Our duck doesn't have any scabbing, not sure it's a bumblefoot issue. It's just swollen and hot, so we assumed it was early stages of that and tried to jump on a treatment. We noticed some brown specks around what I'm guessing is it's spur (sorry, new to ducks) and the skin looked jagged and roughed up. There's no more sign of brown specks there. We're continuing to clean it an spray vetericyn and bandage it. Do you recommend continuing to bandage?
Thanks for any help you can offer. Vet's not really an option for us.

I have a chart from Twin City Poultry it's an online co. the sent me a med chart when i bought Baytril from them. They sell Pen powder They also sell Amoxicillin capsules.
@casportpony may know of a better place to buy since she is alot more knowledgeable about meds.

Back
Top Bottom