need help with ducks

Glenmar

Songster
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
VIRGINIA
I am hatching ducks right now for a friend.
She did not bring me any food. All I have is
Medicated chick starter. I have some layer pellets.

I also have corn meal. Can I mix chick starter with corn meal.
They would only have to eat this for I day until the stores open up
tomorrow.

Some people will disagree with me here, but I won't feed my ducklings chick start due to the medication that's in it.
Many people have done it successfully, I won't. I also wouldn't feed them corn meal...that's just me.
Have they actually hatched yet?

Thanks for taking the time to come post Sheila. I know you're having a busy day.
hugs.gif

I've been told by several sources never to feed medicated chick starter to ducklings. I don't think ducklings really need to eat for the first 24 hours or so, but do offer water in a supervised setting (making sure they don't get wet or chilled). In a pinch, ducklings love a mixture of cooked peas and corn. Good luck with your babies!

Thanks for your quick replys on a holiday.
There are 3 hatched now. The first one was at 9:30pm last night.
I will try to give them something til tomorrow am.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Since I only have chicks, I'm kind of guessing, but do the ducklings need food the first day or two? If they are shipped as day olds from a hatchery, they wouldn't have food. Maybe that would give you time until the stores open tomorrow or your friend picks them up.

You could feed them some smashed egg mixed with some kind of leafy greens. I put a good amount of water in it, my geese loved it! I've also been told its alright to give waterfowl medicated chick starter as long as it contains amprollium (sp?), I gave my geese medicated chick starter for a couple of days when I ran out and the store was closed, they were just fine. Good luck!

As previously stated you should never feed Medicated Feed to Ducks. I agree with the smashed eggs and greens. This should be able to hold you over till you can get some proper food.

Back
Top Bottom