Need help with egg laying.

Well I just dug around some more online and YES, it is possible for a chicken to lay more than one egg in a 24hr period. However, it is not common. I called my vet and he said not to worry, it's more than likely due to her first laying cycle and will eventually start laying either one egg a day or two eggs in a 3 day period. he also told me that the chicken's egg laying system IS designed to lay no more than one egg a day, but there are usually exceptions every now and then. I was very happy to hear that he told me not to worry, lol. Just keep an eye on all my hens and monitor what develops. 

It was indeed possible and very uncommon, I have 2 RIRs new layers last summer that did that for few weeks, the only difference were the 2nd ones they lay are normally shelless or mishapen. I know the exact hens that did them since I was in the coop when they happened.

Thanks. Yes, the 2nd egg was a bit misshapened...looked like a little round potato, lol. I actually have one of my BRs in the coop right now by herself. She's been in there for about 20 minutes now. Normally they're running and chasing each other when I let them out in the morning, lol. I don't want to stress her out, so I'll just wait until she comes out on her own to check for an egg. Thanks!

Well everything seems to be back to normal. Our 5 girls are laying between 3-5 eggs daily now for the last few weeks. In the last two weeks alone, they have not laid less than 4 eggs! They're laying faster than we can eat them, lol. But man are they delicious!! Definitely can tell the difference between store bought and fresh eggs! Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom