Need help with hanging poultry or aviary netting over large run

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
I built a 44'L x 30'W run around our secured run/chicken coop. Then I purchased 50'x50' of 2" poultry netting and I AM PLANNING ON USING IT!
barnie.gif
sorry I get so frustrated because I haven't a clue how to use it and of course it didn't come with instructions or pictures! Plus I'm not sure exactly how to utilize it in light of my garden plan. In the pic below you can see the fence behind the coop that will eventually divide it in 2 sections - that division will be replicated in front of the coop with a moveable fence part. The moveable part will shift depending on which side of the run I plan to use as my vegetable garden during the year. For the 1st season this side showing will be for chickens and the other side will be garden. (Each half will be approximately 22'x30' as the long side of the fence runs parallel to my back/front of the coop).

I am trying to figure out how to use the netting over the chicken side only and not over the garden side - or if I should use if over both sides and just have the structure in the middle of my garden each year. Since I know I will need some sort of structure to keep it lifted up - do I just drape it over the top or is it supposed to completely cover down the sides to meet any fencing I have in place? How do I actually attach it to a structure. Is it usually ziptied in place? Stapled? Poultry stapled?

My WL rooster keeps getting out
somad.gif
so I know I need to get this netting in place soon. If you've done this type of netting over a large run - could you please post a pic or link to your set up - especially if you have a garden run like I am planning - I think that would help me. I'm a visual learner - so pictures help me better then instructions. I so appreciate it!

caf.gif

PS: Eventually that old white shed will be removed so I won't have to worry about anyone jumping on the roof - but that will be in the late spring.

The only way to do it is build a roof frame of some sort over the entire area, and forget about moving it every year.

If it doesn't meet the fence on the sides, it won't keep anything in or out

Whatever you use will have to be strong enough to support the weight of the netting AND any snow or ice that builds up in Winter

The cheapest way would be to put a post in the center. Then run small cable or.even nice nylon rope to the top of the pole. You can tie it to your fence. You do have to watch for snow. I live in Texas so its not really a problem.

ya might check out ideas for pheasant flight pens they use this and you might find somethin that way

Yes - that was very helpful. I can see how to build a temporary solution with the netting & some nylon string and zip ties. YEAH! I probably won't be able to walk under it without crouching - but at least the chickens won't be pulling any Houdini escapes for awhile. Hopefully it will hit 50F today and I can get it in place before the next cold spell.

Here in VA we don't get alot of snow or ice in the winter - just an occasional storm- but I will keep it in mind when I build the taller structure in the spring and put the netting in place for permanent use.

Okay I am confused. I ordered a 50 x 50 netting nd hen I opened it I expected a rectangle. Instead it was really long and skinny at both ends. Is that common for them to taper? I made due with it because I needed it for this week, but it won't work long term when I cover the whole run.

The temporary netting worked great - no daily escapees. I simply draped it over the coop using the coop as a center pole - and then zip tied it to the fencing & green posts. I then blocked off access to the other side with some 2x4 wire I have hanging around. The other side will be for this year's garden so they aren't going to get access there anymore. DH was happy he didn't have to deal with loose chickens and I was glad everyone was accounted for when I returned home. It's high enough off the ground that everyone except my DH can walk around the coop area without ducking down. So it will have to do until spring.

The test of snow will be this Sunday as we're supposed to get some substantial accumulation for the 1st time this winter. Hopefully it won't collapse under the weight of snow.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom