Need help with Pickles the bully

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
So I finally get my duckling, that I want to raise with my chicks. I had heard everything from the duckling will be way too messy for the chicks, to the duckling will be lonely when it gets older, but it is doable. Well I guess I never thought about what if the duckling might want to peck the heck out of the chickies! Ahhhhh!!!! At first, they all got along great, but now Pickles, my duckling, pulls on feathers, feet, anything he can grab on the chicks, if he feels it is in his way! He cuddles up fine with them when he is sleepy. But if he is eating or drinking, he gets kind of mean. They are all the same age, 3 days, and Pickles isn't really that much bigger than them. Should I let them sort it out, or should I be more concerned? So far, no one has been injured, but I don't really want to wait till someone is.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I don't know that it is a case of him actually bullying them but more of exploring. When our ducks were babes they always seemed to be nibbling on each other all over, wings, feet, faces. I don't know if it is a behavior you can change, I think it is just how ducks check things out. If it seems like the chicks are ok I wouldn't worry but if you are worried he is causing bodily harm you need to seperate him and try to get him a duckling buddy
hu.gif

My pekin didn't start actually feather pulling till about 4 weeks. Before that he was just exploring, tasting...checking things out. lol When he started pulling out a bill full of feathers, it was time to separate them.

My duck grew up with 3 chicks, RIR, marans and a Bantam Cochin.
As the cochin grew up you could see chunks missing from her feet feathers where the duck had nibbled them.
If it got too much the cochin moved away.
The duck grew out of this at about week 8 and now the cochin has just molted she has nice fluffy feet finally.
In my case it wasn't anything to worry about, they were all best friends and snuggled together like yours do.

Woka

Back
Top Bottom