AshVal09

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2019
Hi everyone.

I have a concern that I need lots of help on. So I have a rooster that is crowing and I tried everything to keep him from doing so since we live in a neighborhood. We did like a collar that supposedly lowers the volume of his crow but I get afraid because last night, there was a large mass inside him near his throat that was way close to his head (not where the crop should be). I don’t know if that’s normal or that we’re not putting on the collar right.

If I can’t find another solution, I’m thinking of taking him to a farm sanctuary where he could life his life instead of being killed because he didn’t “fit” in. I live in Ventura County in California.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know ASAP.

Thank you

The bottom line is a rooster is no louder than a dog. In fact the rooster will likely only make noise during waking hours, unlike a dumb dog that barks at shadows all day and night. I wouldn't worry about it, unless there is already something down saying it is "illegal" to have them. Otherwise if your neighbors don't like it tell them you don't like them but can't get rid of them just because of that fact, and so the same applies to your rooster. If anyone complains further, demand everyone in town give up their dogs as well because they make noise.
You can also opt for silkies which don't crow much and if they do it's pretty quiet.
Uhh, I've got quite a few roosters that crow during the night. They crow often and sporadically. My silkie roo is not quiet, he's a loud little dude.
OP, get rid of the guy. He'll be much happier at the sanctuary where he can crow in peace.

The bottom line is: roosters crow. Take him to the farm sanctuary.
The bottom line is: roosters crow. Take him to the farm sanctuary.
The bottom line is a rooster is no louder than a dog. In fact the rooster will likely only make noise during waking hours, unlike a dumb dog that barks at shadows all day and night. I wouldn't worry about it, unless there is already something down saying it is "illegal" to have them. Otherwise if your neighbors don't like it tell them you don't like them but can't get rid of them just because of that fact, and so the same applies to your rooster. If anyone complains further, demand everyone in town give up their dogs as well because they make noise.
You can also opt for silkies which don't crow much and if they do it's pretty quiet.
thank you for the advice. No one in our neighborhood has complained about the chickens and crowing. In fact, two of our closest neighbors told us they love them and we give them fresh eggs each week since our hens produce a lot for us (about 9 eggs each day at best).

It’s the fear that someone will complain and have to remove our chickens but we love them so much. My mother had MS and she feels relaxed when she’s with them. To be honest, we got them as pets rather than for the eggs and we check them every single day, even going as far as clipping their claws and sometimes their beaks when they grow too long.

But I have to keep telling myself that they are family and if anyone does complain or wants them to leave, we will find a way to keep them. The rooster (names Abba) is the first I hatched from an egg and he’s very sweet. Just likes to crow around 6am or later. If I can find a way to keep him while everyone else is alright with him, I would do that or send him to a farm sanctuary. I can’t bear to see him get killed

Are chickens illegal where you live?
I really don’t know. I’ve been trying to research it but it’s like there are zones and you need some number that I have no idea what. There’s a horse ranch not too far from here so maybe?

If you are having trouble figuring it out, go to the law library. There is one. The reference librarian will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Hi everyone.

I have a concern that I need lots of help on. So I have a rooster that is crowing and I tried everything to keep him from doing so since we live in a neighborhood. We did like a collar that supposedly lowers the volume of his crow but I get afraid because last night, there was a large mass inside him near his throat that was way close to his head (not where the crop should be). I don’t know if that’s normal or that we’re not putting on the collar right.

If I can’t find another solution, I’m thinking of taking him to a farm sanctuary where he could life his life instead of being killed because he didn’t “fit” in. I live in Ventura County in California.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know ASAP.

Thank you
What you need to do is take your rooster to a vet. Find out what that lump is and tell the vet that you've been using a no crow collar.
Once you've got the poor guy fit and well, then, if you have to, find him somewhere else to live.
Please do not pass an injured, or sick chicken off to someone else.

Please do not pass an injured, or sick chicken off to someone else.
X2

If crowing is going to bother you, you should reconsider having a roster to begin with. Crowing is what they do, naturally.
Screenshot_20191006-151745_Google.jpg

That collar is basically like wrapping your hands around someone's nech and squeezing to get them to talk quieter. It doesn't sound like a way to live, human or bird.

Back
Top Bottom