need high quality, high calorie recipes

ams3651

Songster
12 Years
Jan 23, 2008
NE PA
Im asking you all because I know there are several of us on here with special needs kids. My 6 year old son is on the border line of where they start to worry about him loosing more weight. He takes Adderall XR because of his ADHD, amung other things, and doesnt eat much. We do what we can, we mix whey protein powder with Carnation instant breakfast and whole milk. He eats peanut butter sandwiches, loves eggs and often will take them hard boiled in his lunch. We've tried so much. Does anyone have a recipe, maybe some kind of baked good, that has lots of calories in a good way. Sure I could feed him donuts and candy bars but I want to give him calories in a high quality way. I could probably come up with something on my own but my brain is too busy at the moment.

My son spent 6 weeks in the hosp. He lost a huge amount of weight. His DR told us to use Pediasure. He also suggested feeding him every hour or so. Even if he would only eat a half of sandwhich. It sounds like you are doing what you can. I hope everything is OK with your son. If I think of something else the DR told us I will let you know.

Quote:
just back from the Dr, they say to make sure he gets calories from quality foods. Eating is not something he does alot of so Im looking for something like a snack bar that i can pack as much nutrition as I can.

Last edited:
I suggest a cookbook such as one for Crohn's disease. Your son may not have Crohn's, but it sounds like he requires a lot of calories like many Crohn's patients do (as they don't always absorb calories as easily as folks without...).

One that just came out recently is the "Crohn's and Colitis Diet Guide." Your library might have it.

Actually, I like the idea of feeding him *often*. That would probably be easier than getting more stuff in him.

All dairy snacks are pretty high calorie. So even just cubes of cheese and full fat yogurt.

There are some really good high protein drinks out there too that might also help. I really like all of the Odwalla drinks. They are also pretty good for you too, high in sugar but they have some good ingredients.

Here is what came to mind:

deviled eggs
whole olives
sardines ( my kids LOVE the ones packed in olive oil on crackers)
swedish meatballs on toothpicks as finger food
salmon any way you can get it down him
smile.png

our food co-op has great hot dogs that are tasty and not full of chemicals. Any
kind of sausage cut up on toothpicks as finger food would be great, with
dipping sauces.
nuts (as someone else suggested)
as for baked goods, you can use flaxseed in lots of your baking. It is full of omega fatty acids and adds a nutritional kick to
pretty much anything. There are lots of good recipes online, just google flaxseed recipes.

You could try to find some tapas cookbooks online or at your local bookstore. Tapas are small bites of high quality, tasty food. They use lots of fish which is great for children's growing brains and bodies. The other day we roasted figs wrapped in bacon and the kids went crazy over them!!

Here is a recipe that my kids really like, is full of good stuff for them and is easy to make.
Salmon Quiche

1 can (15 1/2 oz) salmon, wild caught red
1 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup thin sliced scallions
1/2 tsp pepper
3-6 large eggs (depending on how many you are feeding)
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp fresh or dried herbs ( I like dill and thyme for this)

Pick skin and bones from salmon and break the meat into pieces. Mix with cheese, scallions and pepper. Spoon mixture into pie plate.

Beat eggs, milk and herbs together till blended. Pour over salmon mixture.

Bake at 350 till center is firm to touch and does not jiggle (about 35-45 min).

Let cool 10 min before cutting.

*you can also do this quiche in a baked 9'' pie shell.

Last edited:
Offering small, frequent meals that are "fun" and can be eaten with his fingers may help. Breakfast burritos make a fun breakfast, french toast has both milk and eggs and can be cut into sticks, quesadilla triangles with cheese and shredded meat make a nice lunch or snack, cereals (mine still love to snack on Cheerios and bite-sized Frosted Mini Wheats!), kids love nachos (easy to make in the microwave). You can buy breakfast cereal bars or granola bars, I'm just not sure how healthy they are.

Sandwiches made into shapes or cut with a cookie cutter can make school lunch fun, as well as using pocket bread stuffed with a filling, or flatbread made into pinwheels.

The Kraft Food website usually has great ideas for making food fun for kids, you can try there for some ideas.

Good luck to you, being a Mom is not always easy!

Here is my finicky 6 yo son's favorite food of all time. Take a package of Boca burgers or other veggie burgers and thaw them in the microwave. Open a package of crescent rolls. Using two together (two triangles still attached to each other roll them out a little. Place a boca burger on the dough and slice of cheese on top of that. Fold the dough around the burger until it is sealed in. You can manhandle this a little to make it work. Bake at the temperature recommended on the crescent roll package. Baking time will vary. I usually bake them on a cookie sheet for a little less than the total time for plain crescent rolls, then flip them and do about the same on the other side. My son likes to dip them in ketchup. He'll even take them to school cold. I would imagine that it would work with a regular cooked hamburger. I've done them with precooked breaded chicken patties as well. He's not as fond of those but they're not bad!

Back
Top Bottom