Need ideas for a raised bed

RcknSAHM

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
I want to use a set of old cabinets to become a raised planter but there is some paint inside. Due to the age of my house its pretty safe to assume its lead based. My husband suggested I line it with something, there is my problem. I dont know what to use for that. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

how about some of that sheeting they sell at garden stores that you place over weeds to kill them - its black - all I know. That way you would (hopefully) keep the lead from leaching and stop any weeds from making their way through into the garden.

You could use some heavy black plastic. Our greenhouse has floating trays for the plants so it just a level wooden frame with sand lined with heavy black plastic stapled to the frame. You may need some drainage however.

I would just skip it and mound up the bed,do a trench around it filled with mulch to prevent spreading grass/weeds.

If it were me I would be worried always about possible lead. If wood borders are a must you might be able to get some low cost wood scraps from the store.Sometimes free on craigs.

Quote:
I'm having a hard time picturing this....Are you taking the doors off of some over the counter cabinets, and wanting to lay them flat?

Back
Top Bottom