Need ideas for waterer heaters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kysilkies, Oct 18, 2011.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    We currently have 4 separate coops but before winter hits will have one big one for all our birds with 4 separate waterers and need ideas on how to keep the water from freezing...Last year we used heat lamps in each coop and they didn't keep the water from freezing...

So, how do you do it for one or multiple units(if possible)???...Cheaper the better also...Thanx in advance...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I use a heated dog bowl, the large size. They are somewhat economical to operate because they come when needed, below 40F and shut themselves when not needed, over 40F.

To make life simple, I just sit an ice cream pail of water into each dog bowl. I have multiple buckets. Take out fresh water and swap. Ideal in cold weather. No messing around.

4. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    The cookie tin water heater works great! Have used it for two winters.

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I also use cookie tin waterers my husband builds. We use a 40w light bulb, and we also plug those into a thermocube so they do not turn on till around freezing and will shut off when not needed.

6. mrs macdonald

mrs macdonald Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

I use a heated dog bowl, the large size. They are somewhat economical to operate because they come when needed, below 40F and shut themselves when not needed, over 40F.

To make life simple, I just sit an ice cream pail of water into each dog bowl. I have multiple buckets. Take out fresh water and swap. Ideal in cold weather. No messing around.

I love this idea, but would it work with young chicks (7 or 8 weeks) during their first weeks in the coop? Is it too tall for them to access and is there a risk of them getting into it? What kind of platform do you stand it on? Would a cinder block or concrete patio slab be okay? Sorry, trying to figure out the simplest way for young birds [​IMG]

7. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    You can see our solution on my page.

8. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I think you should use a different method in each of your four coops, and then report back to us next spring with which one worked best, which was easiest, which was least expensive, etc.

That would be most useful!!!
    [​IMG]

9. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    This is probably a stupid question... but, does waterer sit on top of the cookie tin?

10. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    This is probably a stupid question... but, does waterer sit on top of the cookie tin?

Yes it does.
    Use a 40 watt bulb and it should keep it from freezing

You could do the same thing with a bucket, or even a wooden box with a thin metal top

The "cookie tin" works well because it's completely contained, and is fire proof and waterproof
    You just need a small hole for the wiring to pass through​

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by