Need ideas on roost and ventilation

OasiVerde

Songster
Aug 29, 2018
Texas Hill Country
I set up this roost from an old ladder, but I don;t like the "poop tarp". It smells bad :hmm.
Ideally I would like to have the ladder horizontal, so I can build a poop board underneath. What would be an easy way to do this since the ladder is solid wood and heavy.

IMG_4804.JPG

A neighbor gave us this small coop and my kids are going to house a couple of chickens in there (probably only four, because it is really tiny - the coop is set up in a run, so they have enough space during the day). There is absolutely no ventilation indoors. Should I drill some holes right underneath the roof and cover it with hardware cloth?

IMG_4810.JPG

TIA

A neighbor gave us this small coop and my kids are going to house a couple of chickens in there (probably only four, because it is really tiny - the coop is set up in a run, so they have enough space during the day). There is absolutely no ventilation indoors. Should I drill some holes right underneath the roof and cover it with hardware cloth?

Since the actual run is outside the coop, and the coop is small, I would turn the entire unit into the coop. Should be pretty easy: just remove interior walls and run a new roost bar lengthwise. That will give you plenty of ventilation and plenty of roost space for 4.

Whatever you do do not do that in the laying box hens like having it light free so they can lay in peace. I would maybe cut a chunk out just bellow the roof and sort of cover it with hardwhere cloth. Hope this has been helpful

What would be an easy way to do this since the ladder is solid wood and heavy.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Based on that photo I would just add a set of four 2 by 4 legs to the ladder so that it can lay horizontal. Then build in a poop tray underneath that is also secured to the 2 by 4 legs. You could even keep the feed and water under there if you wanted to.

You are in the Texas Hill Country, thanks for that info. Your winters are not going to be bad. For ventilation I'd take that area under the roof out up high and replace it with wire so you can lock a chicken in that coop section itself of you ever need to. That should keep rain out.

To attach that ladder horizontally I'd attach a 2x4 to a wall to act as a support on one end. You could set one end of the ladder on that and toenail or screw it in so it doesn't move. Then either drop a support from the ceiling or put legs on to support it from the floor.

For the droppings either rig something up, maybe with hooks, so you can disconnect that tarp and empty it Instead of what looks like using zip ties. Or build something under it you can easily scrape.

I'm confused.
How does that hammocked ladder roost fit into that tiny coop?
I understand you are confused. I have a large coop for my flock.
This picture was taken in the summer before I started changing the coop and building the run.
IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4411.JPG

I have separated an area in the run, because my kids want to have their "own" chickens. That's where I placed the tiny coop. They will only keep a couple of chickens.

You are in the Texas Hill Country, thanks for that info. Your winters are not going to be bad. For ventilation I'd take that area under the roof out up high and replace it with wire so you can lock a chicken in that coop section itself of you ever need to. That should keep rain out.

To attach that ladder horizontally I'd attach a 2x4 to a wall to act as a support on one end. You could set one end of the ladder on that and toenail or screw it in so it doesn't move. Then either drop a support from the ceiling or put legs on to support it from the floor.

For the droppings either rig something up, maybe with hooks, so you can disconnect that tarp and empty it Instead of what looks like using zip ties. Or build something under it you can easily scrape.
Thank you so much for your extended reply.
This weekend I need to get some hardware cloth and then I will cut out the wood right under the roof.
And the plan for the ladder sounds amazing! For the poop board I will probably need to get some plywood. I would like to put pellets underneath the roost for easy clean up, because right now (even with daily cleaning) it smells bad in there.
I have my list for this weekend ready :)

I'm not sure what the problem is. Based on that photo I would just add a set of four 2 by 4 legs to the ladder so that it can lay horizontal. Then build in a poop tray underneath that is also secured to the 2 by 4 legs. You could even keep the feed and water under there if you wanted to.
That sounds easy. I was thinking about mounting it to the wall, but that wouldn;t work with the weight of the ladder. Went to Lowe's tonight and got my 2x4's :)

You could put a length of 2x4 horizontally on the wall and rest one side of the ladder on that, and build legs for the other side, assuming it doesn't reach to the other wall. Then just screw a couple little 90 degree plates to the ladder and the horizontal to stabilize it.

Back
Top Bottom