Need info asap!

MamaJoJo

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
North East Alabama
How warm is warm enough for an injured hen? I'm using small heat lamp borrowed from my snake on top of the cage where I am housing the hen in my kitchen and have a blanket covering most of the cage I'm putting a reptile thermometer in now to see how w warm it is. She is drinking sugar water but is not very responsive so I'm afraid she won't display the normal signs of being too hot.

All my books say warm. ?? Google is no help yet maybe its how I word the search request. I'm getting a lot of temps for keeping cooked chicken warm.... Argh

Honestly I wouldn't keep here much over 80 degrees. Just enough so that her body doesn't expend too much energy on maintaining temp, but too much heat can easily cause stress.

Ok. The thermometer is holding a steady 79 with the use of the heat lamp. Thank you! thank you for responding. its one of those late nights/early mornings when you doing everything you know how and then sit and wait to see if te critical stage passes. Reminds me of when my children were babies and would get those awful fevers in the middle of the night. Getting a response to an emergency question when its 2 a.m. my time is relieving!

Back
Top Bottom