Need info

Chickenmom19

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2019
I have two quick questions. 1. What is the best way to intègrate my two old chickens with the 14 new ones. I have let them free range the past two day and they don't seem to bother them is that a good sign?
2. I have 2 baby ( 3 week old rir) I have them in their own Rubbermaid container but when I try to put them outside with the others one of the hens seems to peck at them. They are so cute they run to what ever human is out there and climbs on them what can I do if the other chickens wont accept the baby chicks?

Put the babies in the coop with the adults in a wire cage. Something that they can see and not touch the adults. After a week or two the introduction is relatively seamless.

I will disagree - 14 to two, is a pretty good advantage, while the old birds might peck they cannot peck all of them, pecking is hard work. With 14 chicks, it spreads the pecking out. If they have been free ranging together, I think I would just see if they will follow the old girls into the coop/run.

I find under a pallet just a little off the ground is a good place to feed the chicks, the older birds could get under there, but it will slow them down hugely, and more than likely they will eat where it is easier to eat at the "grown up spot" so to speak.

I would not think that there would be much difference in the 3 week old birds to the 5 week old birds. I think I would give it a try to put everyone in there and see. However, the 5 week olds might pick at the 3 week olds, but I don't think they will. But be aware.

I have gone away completely from keeping chicks separate from the laying flock until they are bigger. I find I have very good luck with them being smaller, but I usually have a safety zone set up, so that the chicks can escape to a place where the bigs can't follow them.

Good luck,

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom