Need input PLEASE!

Chickenkeepr

Chirping
May 5, 2015
Watertown, NY
Hey all. Last week my BCM pullet came down with gasping for air and some rales (rattly breathing). I had added 3 new birds to my flock after a 2 week quarantine. I started treating her with .5ml Tylan50 IM and she improved quickly. It now seems to be spreading through my entire flock so I have been giving them ALL (except the 3 new birds and 2 older hens which are showing no symptoms) .5ml of Tylan50 IM (the bigger birds I've been doing .75ml) Most are improving but I have one Brahma that I am VERY concerned about. I have been treating her with VetRX, force feeding scrambled eggs, and using a syringe to give her water. She can hardly breathe. She's skin and bone right now. She will seem slightly better for a bit, then quickly declines again. I do not knew exactly what I'm dealing with. Some birds also had one swollen eye and some nasal discharge. The main thing is the rales and sneezing/coughing. This brahma had thick clear mucus in her mouth yesterday and I actually used a syringe to suction her nostrils and mouth as best I could. Should I give her a little more of the Tylan? It's been 3 days and while others have greatly improved..she's not. Also, does anyone have any clue as to what I could be dealing with? I have a mixed flock but most are pullets that are around 14weeks (one cockerel and 2 white leghorns that are 2 years old are also affected). I know the birds I recently added were carriers as they are not sick. I did have my oldest EE hen come down with something similar last year and I treated her I believe with water soluble Oxytetracycline. I'm in NYS so getting water soluble antibiotics is a PAIN.

Please help!!

sounds like your dealing with MG/CRD. up the bramas to 1 ml. Is there bubbles in the eyes ?
They really messed us up with making the antibiotic unavailable . If you can get your hands on some Denaguard its a good preventative and treatment. Right now, tylan is the best you can be doing as far as I know.

No bubbles, just some have swollen kind of watery eyes. I'll try to get some pics posted of the affected ones this afternoon. Do you know where I would find Denaguard? Is it an injectable or can it be used in conjunction with the Tylan? I'll definitely bump up the brahmas tonight. Should I be dosing just once a day or more frequently?

Once a respiratory disease gets into the flock, the other birds are carriers. Mycoplasma (MG,) coryza, or some of the viruses complicated with E.coli or air sacculitis, can make them pretty sick. A good thing to do is to sacrifice 1-2 very sick birds, and get a necropsy performed by a poultry lab or your state vet to identify the disease. Separate sick birds or cull them. Tylan will treat the bacterial respiratory diseases, but if they become complicated with E.coli or other gram negative bacteria, you will need something that will treat that. A vet may then be of help. Some use Baytril (banned in chickens) to treat very sick birds but a vet could help more with the right antibiotic. TMZ-SMP, clavamox, cephalexin,or amoxicillin might help if given in the right dosage and frequency. Here is a good link to read about various common diseases, and another on necropsies and finding a poultry lab for testing or a necropsy:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Last edited:
I just don't understand why all were healthy, happy, active birds and why some are hugely improving from their first dose of antibiotics, and it seems to dwell in others. The last time I took a duck to the only vet in the area, it cost me over $600. I can't do that again.

I just don't understand why all were healthy, happy, active birds and why some are hugely improving from their first dose of antibiotics, and it seems to dwell in others. The last time I took a duck to the only vet in the area, it cost me over $600. I can't do that again.
you could explain to the vet that you want to try an antibiotic that will target E. coli, something like Baytril or Amikacin. Cost should be office visit and cost of medication.

Back
Top Bottom