Need last minute instructions - picking up chicks tomorrow!

backintime

Songster
13 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Northern Wisconsin
I'M CHICKING UP MY PICKS -- I mean I'm PICKING UP MY CHICKS tomorrow morning at 8:00! Excited? Who, me? I'm bringing a plastic bin with a regular towel and paper toweling covering the bottom. I have a power inverter in my car, so I will bring a heating pad and set it on low under (not in!) the bin to keep them warmer for the 1-hour ride home. Here's my question: should I dip their beaks in water and offer food before I set off for home, or wait til I get them home and under the heat lamp? Also, aside from the obvious signs of sickness, is there anything to watch out for in choosing chicks? Bright and active? Does larger = more robust? Should I pick them up and inspect their parts? I thought I had learned everything on BYC . . . must be last minute jitters!

I woul suggest waiting until you get them home, unless you have a terribly long drive. It would be horrible to give them water and then have to take it away from them. That's just my opinion.

We picked up 14 about 9 weeks ago. They were in a small box and we drove a little over an hour home with no ill effects for the chicks. We did dip the beaks at home and they have grown so much I really can't believe it! Good luck to you and your new chicks.

Are you picking them up direct from the hatchery??? I'm not quite sure what to look for, when we picked ours out from the feed store I chose the ones that seemed more active, however we have gotten some that weren't so active and they were healthy and fine, too. Some breeds didn't seem as active as others, like the buff orpingtons from the feed store were more calm than the leghorns, also the araucanas were quieter. We also looked for the ones that seemed to have good feathers (based on the few feathers baby chicks have LOL) One hour is NOT very long at all, so if you're picking day olds up from the hatchery I would just wait on food and water. Chicks have enough left from their yolks to keep them going for up to three days, that's what makes them possible to ship. The heating pad is okay, just make sure it's not too hot, I don't know if you can regulate the temp but make sure it doesn't get above like 99. Usually they're supposed to have 95 degrees as day olds, but at long as it's somewhere around there I would think that it'd be fine. When shipped baby chicks are without any sort of external heat source and only have heat from their collective bodies. This is just my opinion, hope it helps!!!!

Just make sure they have FREE ACCESS to water, they will drink as much as they need. Sometimes my chicks have drunk a lot in the first shot, but other times they just take a sip or two, and later start drinking more. Just so long as they get the idea and know where their water is, make sure they take AT LEAST one sip. Usually this happens once you dip their beaks in water, that should be their first sip.

Quote:
Make a list. I find that very calming.

Tonight prepare chick room:
Put down old shower curtain to protect floor
Wash, dry, set up pen (old dog crate), line with shavings
Put waterer in dishwasher to sterilize, put in pen when clean (fill tomorrow)
Plug in heat lamp, get new bulb.

For car:
bin
blanket
paper towels
heating pad

pickup at feed store
chickies
crumblies
new feeder (old one is rusted)

When I get home, offer water and hang out with babies. Take lots of pictures and post them everwhere.

Then I usually go over the list obsessively and even then I forget lots of things.

Back
Top Bottom