Need NC info on protecting your livestock

FunnyFarmer

Songster
11 Years
Jul 20, 2008
Efland, NC
I saw a couple of loose dogs in the woods today and yesterday that I suspect belong in a nearby subdivision--and my chickies free range in the afternoon. I have no qualms about SSS, (although I'll have to suck it up and go practice a few times with the shotgun--it kicks) but I'd like to know if this is legal. Anybody know off hand, or have ideas on where to go look?

Well I'm not sure about what area your in, in NC. I'm on the coast in East Lake and Outside of city limits....actually my area isn't zoned, soo...
But I do know if any animal is threatening you or your livestock you're allowed to shoot em.

I'd say the best thing to do, to find out for sure it to talk to your local agricultural department. The people we've talked to about setting up our farm were more than helpful in a lot of areas, including local laws and ordinances. I'll try and see if I can dig up anything on the general laws for this state.

If you are worried about the legality, or repercussions from the dog owners....you might try shooting them with a paint ball gun as SOON as you see them on your property. I wouldn't worry if they were not near your livestock.

It would give them a nice bruise, scare them a lot, and discourage them from coming back....but it would not seriously hurt them. It would also send the owners a nice message when Fido comes back covered in flourescent yellow paint.

SSS will work too, but there is a chance the owners will just assume the dog ran away, and replace it with another dog...and the cycle will start all over again.

I would use a paintball gun but if this settles your mind.

if any animal is threatening your livestock (or poultry ) you can by all means and legally get rid of the problem any way you see humanly fit

My suggestion is to contact your local animal control or look up your counties web site and view the animal ordinance, that should give you the information that you need. I like the idea of the paint gun. It is not the dogs fault, it is irresponsible owners. After you have shot one with a paintball gun, you could post something in your local newspaper saying (if you find out it is legal) if your dog came home with a paintball shot, next time it will be with a bullet, keep them on your premises. Irresponsible owners and not spay-neutering is the cause of dogs running loose. Good Luck

NC State statute

§ 67-14. Mad dogs, dogs killing sheep, etc., may be killed

Any person may kill any mad dog, and also any dog if he is killing sheep, cattle, hogs, goats, or poultry.

We're in northern Orange county, out in the country near the Alamance county line.

I was born and raised in Graham, but I live about 150 miles East of there now.

And you CAN legally shoot the dog(s) while its IN THE ACT of attacking your birds.​

Back
Top Bottom