Need necropsy ID help *GRAPHIC PICTURES*

chickenmomma16

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 16, 2012
Buckley, Washington
Just need confirming, are these darker red growths on the spine are cancer?
IMG_8955.jpeg

Is this the open back or the abdomen? I’m not that knowledgeable with necropsies to identify what those are. The middle one looks a little like the spleen, but I can’t say with any expertise. I will tag some others in case they have any ideas. @casportpony @coach723 and @ azygous, do these look like a thing you are familiar with?

Is this the open back or the abdomen? I’m not that knowledgeable with necropsies to identify what those are. The middle one looks a little like the spleen, but I can’t say with any expertise. I will tag some others in case they have any ideas. @casportpony @coach723 and @ azygous, do these look like a thing you are familiar with?
It’s open abdomen. Chicken on his back. I cut the keel out and opened up the rib cage. Vent is at the bottom middle of picture. I’ve opened quite a few chickens and it looked like bubbly growths up and down the spine. It wasn’t just one spot, it was multiple areas.

They don't look like tumors that I have seen, I'm not an expert, just not what I have typically seen. Most cancers in my birds have been white lesions or nodules, or the bubble or balloonish growths/cysts in cystadenocarcinomas. There are some images in this post that show some of the various types, you can also do a search for cancer in chickens and get a lot of images to compare. It's possible that it's a type not typical, as I said, I'm not an expert. Did the bird die on it's own or did you cull? Was it having symptoms? The middle one could be the spleen, the lungs are also up in that general area, but usually hard to get to easily.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...omas-in-laying-hens-graphic-pictures.1064118/

Back
Top Bottom