1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Need prayer!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by georgialee, Jun 12, 2011.

1. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    My sisters horse just foaled early this morning and something is wrong with the foals back legs -- he is healthy otherwise. There is a possibility he'll have to be put down. Can y'all pray for a good outcome?

Thank you [​IMG]

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Prayers!

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    Praying!

4. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks guys.

Now the mare has a widespread infection -- the cause cannot be found. They're having to shave her feathers to soak her feet in ice water.

They still don't know what's wrong with the colt. He has a feeding tube since his back legs can't support him.

5. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    The vet finally found and was able to remove the retained placenta. Hopefully the infection will now respond to medicine.

They did not see and deformities on the colts x-ray so they're going to fit him with braces that have to be adjusted daily. I think the colt will have to be bottle fed unless the braces allow him to be able to reach the mares teats.

I think just about everything that could have gone wrong did. Thank goodness we live close to the university of TN - they have a great large animal vet clinic.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  6. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Of course!

7. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Wow. That can be really bad for the mare. Hopefully, they caught it in time.

[​IMG]

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry.
    Glad to hear the cause of the mares issue has been found. I hope she recovers quickly.
    Praying for the foal, that he does well and the correction works to give him a normal life. Gypsy?

9. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I'm praying too, but I have a question (may be showing my roots here-they are gray) but what do you mean by they shaved her feathers?

10. georgialee

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, she's a gorgeous silver bay gypsy vanner.

Feathers are the hair that some breeds have on their lower legs.

They're both still in the 'hospital'.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by