Need quick, easy, cheap DAIRY FREE meals

ma2babygurl13

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Fairborn OH
I have a 15 month old son who has a dairy allergy, and now I am off dairy to see if it helps with my 5 week old daughters colic (she is breastfed) So I need some Ideas for quick and easy Dairy Free meals! Usually everything I eat has dairy in it somewhere (I love cheese and milk) but my babies wellbeing comes first! We are on a budget so it cannot be anything SUPER expensive! We like to cook with venison (deer) Pork Beef or Chicken. Let me know if ya got any Ideas!

We've done this for years and for the same reason. We just leave the dairy out of the regular recipes and have found there is little difference in the outcome.

Like mashed potatoes? We just put in some olive oil instead of milk and they come out creamy and tastey. Omelets that usually have cheese? We just use tofu cheese instead. Cereal? Vanilla Soy Milk is great for this.

Pizza? We just get half with no cheese.

try my bean soup thread; everything on there is cheap, easy, dairy free, kid approved and HEALTHY.
Two of my kids were raised on Soy becuase of dairy allergies, it's no big deal once you get in the hang of it.

Our dgd has cow's milk protein issues, so she gets goat's or sheep's milk or soy or rice milk. She has no problem with goat milk or sheep milk made into cheese.

In recipes, you can usually substitute any of the above for cow's milk. Or you can use water.

If you have a recipe for a cream-type soup, if there are potatoes in the soup, you can take some of the potatoes out of the soup and whiz them up in the food processor or with an immersion blender. When added back to the soup, it will be creamier without the cream. This is a recipe I make using this technique.

Hearty Sausage & Kale Soup
Serves 4 - 6

1 # Italian sweet sausage links
1 T olive oil
3/4 c to 1 c chopped onion
2 -3 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
2 - 4 medium potatoes, peeled & cubed
1 - 2 quarts veggie stock
2 c shredded kale leaves
1/3 c heavy cream (see my notes below)

Preheat oven to 300°F. Place links on cookie sheet lined with foil and bake for about 25 minutes or until completely cooked. Cut into half lengthwise and then into 1/2" pieces. Set aside.

Heat the oil in stockpot over med heat. Add onions and sauté until translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté about 1 min. Add the stock and potatoes.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes. Add sausage, kale and cream, and simmer for about 1/2 hr longer, covered.

MY NOTE #1: You may add cream at end and heat through. Alternatively, take some of the stock and potatoes out of the stockpot and place in a small bowl. Cream them using a blender and return to the pot.

MY NOTE #2: If you like you can add 1/2 cup of fat-free (or lactose-free or soy) milk to the soup to give a creamy appearance with less calories than using cream.

I found the original recipe in the book: Prairie Home Cooking, 400 recipes that celebrate the bountiful harvests, creative cooks, and comforting foods of the American Heartland. by Judith M. Fertig.

The notes are my personal changes to the recipe. This recipe is similar to the Tuscan soup served at Olive Garden Restaurants.

Last edited:
He actually showed issues with soy too (he was on soy milk and FILLED his pants several times a day) He is now on coconut milk and has been fine with that.

I mean like over and out of them...it was very gross and not a normal looking one either... now that he is off the soy milk it is much better, still goes a few times a day but not the amount or the same kind

Just wondering about goat milk? I have a dairy goat and the fresh milk is wonderful and tastes great. Not sure if you have the time to milk a goat every day but I am really enjoying it.

no not right now, though I bet it is yummy... from the research i have done, a lot of kids with dairy issues also have issues with goats milk, as the milk protiens (not the lactose) is where kids have problems (it is the opposite usually in adults) and I guess Cow and Goat milk protiens are very similar. So I haven't even tried it. I am hoping to get an actual allergy test run on him to be sure it is the milk, as we went to a local pumpkin farm and took a hay ride (straw) and then he played in a straw stack and broke out in hives everywhere, and now I am wondering if he has a wheat allergy.... so we will see how all that goes
sad.png
I hope it isn't both I'm having a hard enough time finding foods that don't include milk!

Back
Top Bottom