Need rabbit help ASAP

Wow, maybe she passed a blockage or got through eating something toxic. :O I'm glad she managed to pull through! Either way I'd consider getting her to a vet for a check up. At her age there's a lot that could be effecting her.

Since she's stable I'd be looking at;
Temperature
Poops (what are they like, how many, recently?)
Is she grooming (is she lifting her front paws while grooming?)
Look for teeth grinding (indication of pain)
Check ears, eyes nose for any discharge/redness/swelling
Look around her environment for any seriously toxic plants or chemicals (lead paint, noxious weeds, etc)
Check her diet (is she getting into chicken feed? eating a lot of alfalfa?)

Keeping her in tip top shape could help stop it from happening again

If she is breathing and then stopping and breathing and then stopping she is most likely dying. It may be Chyne (sp) Stokes respirations and they are a prelude to death. I am sorry.

Just read the above post. Guess she wasn't exhibiting Chyne Stokes after all. Glad she is better. A check up wouldn't hurt but you may never find the cause of her illness. This is what makes animal owners pull out their hair and bang their head against the wall.

Ok, I don’t know what happened, but now she is hopping around and being very active. She’s even eating and drinking now.

Whatever happened, she’s not dying.

It’s a miracle.
Okay - She's okay, but YOU are not done, yet! The fact that whatever-it-was affected her breathing is a serious issue. It sounds like she got hold of something toxic that came very close to killing her. Go over your run with a fine-toothed comb - not literally combing, just literally inspecting EVERYTHING. Use the Internet if you have to, but identify everything in her run that she could have eaten ... every type of plant, every toy, every paint chip. SOMETHING in her hutch or run needs to be removed ASAP or this will likely happen again.

Okay - She's okay, but YOU are not done, yet! The fact that whatever-it-was affected her breathing is a serious issue. It sounds like she got hold of something toxic that came very close to killing her. Go over your run with a fine-toothed comb - not literally combing, just literally inspecting EVERYTHING. Use the Internet if you have to, but identify everything in her run that she could have eaten ... every type of plant, every toy, every paint chip. SOMETHING in her hutch or run needs to be removed ASAP or this will likely happen again.

I just took a look at it run, I didn’t find much, except for what I believe to be the problem. I found a goat head plant. You know, one of those plants with the spiny seeds? According to the Internet, the leaves are toxic to animals. When I picked the plant, she tried to eat it. As if she was addicted to it.

Don’t know if that’s the problem or not.

I just took a look at it run, I didn’t find much, except for what I believe to be the problem. I found a goat head plant. You know, one of those plants with the spiny seeds? According to the Internet, the leaves are toxic to animals. When I picked the plant, she tried to eat it. As if she was addicted to it.

Don’t know if that’s the problem or not.
Make sure you get the root, too - and look around the yard - that lone plant had to come from somewhere! Good job!

EDIT to ADD: Being unfamiliar with Goat Head plants (I'm on the US East Coast,) I looked it up - and it sure looks like you found your culprit! Goat Head is poisonous to livestock. It's also prolific once established, so make sure you look around and figure out where it started. It's officially listed as a noxious, invasive plant in your area, so getting rid of it would be a very good thing!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom