Need some advice ! Coop starting to smell strong ammonia and parts coop getting damp

Sammi_0411

Crowing
Jun 20, 2020
England UK
Hey guys so built a large coop and walk in run been fine but have noticed when raining even with guttering the nest box area of coop is getting damp theres ventilation and im cleaning them out once twice a day but really smells strongly of ammonia recently? Could it be the areas getting damp would putting felt on nest box and treating the wood and waterproof painthelp u think? Also heard that agricultral lime can help with the ammonia?
Thank u
Sam xx

Short term, can you put a tarp over the leaking section? If your dried, poopy bedding(nothing to be ashamed of, almost all of us have dried, poopy bedding) is being rewet by rain it will certainly release nitrogen, and so, amonia from the bedding. Can you leave extra ventilation open for the time being? Any chance water is leaking up from the ground?

Last edited:
Where is the water leakage coming from?

Is it the join between the nest box and the coop? In the main section of the roof? Coming in at your vent holes because the roof overhang is not sufficient to shelter them from wind-driven rain?

It's quite difficult to waterproof the joint of a top-opening nest box. That's why I changed to a front-opening design when we remodeled the Little Monitor Coop.

From this:
1603409180375.png

To this:
1603409230682.png

Joining a roof to a vertical surface without allowing leaks is a challenge for the amateur handyman. You need to have the proper flashing and install it into the siding correctly. DH did it right, but at some point the nestbox roof was damaged (possibly during Hurricane Florence), and then it leaked. That's why we decided to change it.

I dont think so i think i just need to water proof it up a bit more yes that was wat i was worried about i leave it open to dry in day nt nite tho as fox nearby comes in to garden a lot xx

If you do not use drop boards with PDZ and remove droppings every morning I very much recommend it. Most chicken waste is dropped overnight while on the roosts.

You have to fix whatever is leaking, wet nesting boxes and coops will affect the health of your birds very quickly and your climate likely gets freezing weather; a frozen environment will make things even worse.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom