Need some general advice........ Getting a 10 month old standard Jerusalem Donkey

bmdakk

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
Ive never had a horse or donkey before. Ive been around them, but never had one of my own. I am purchasing a 10 month old Jack( that will be gelded when the boys drop). He seems gentle and is super friendly. My main concerns are will he be able to train to trust the family dogs? I know they are used alot for protection, and will kill canines that treaten him or the herd he is protecting. Im hoping that at this young age with alot of supervised interaction between him and the dogs, that they will become buddies.. also I need some general advice from someone that owns one, Like I said I am Green when it comes to donkeys, so even the most obvious advice will be helpful, from type of grass they need to eat in the pasture to what kind of brush to use. any advice is appreciated. I have on the farm already some ducks and chickens but they wont be near him for now.

the pasture I am gonna have him in is approx. an acre, and is currently ready to cut for hay. do I need to mow it down before I put him on it or will the tall grass be ok for him .

Back
Top Bottom