Need some help advice with my winter broody!

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
I already posted a thread called ''My silkie hen went broody in winter'' but I'm wanting to know any tips on helping her out with the chicks and keeping her protein level up and everything.I'm gonna buy a tarp to put over some of the pen to keep snow out so the chicks don't have to walk on the snow and she is sitting on 5 eggs and her hatch date in December 19th so about 12 more days let any advice that will help will be appreciated thanks in advance
smile.png

All she needs is a bunch of nesting material (I like hay, but whatever) and a draft free spot out of the rain.

Of course the chicks will need a water source they can reach. Something like marbles in the dish for a week or so is a good idea; they can drown much more easily without them. You may already know, but feed should not be layer feed. You can let the rest of the flock eat the same feed, starter for the chicks is good for a while, then a grower or flock raiser is good, or most anything but layer. Just have oyster shell in a separate dish available for the laying hens. I like to let the mama raise the chicks in with the flock.)

Hey i sorta...welll
duc.gif
I MADE MY HEN GO BROODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long story short I put a silkie in a box, with a clutch of seven eggs in the corner, and she started setting her eggs are do on the 10th so keep ill keep everyone updated, you should do the same

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom