Need some help fast please

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I have a 2011 gray dewlap toulouse gander, and the other night I was going out to lock everyone up and he was not wanting to cooperate so I picked him up, as soon as I picked him up I noticed he was way under weight, I can feel all his bones in his body! I then walked over to my american buff females and picked one of them up and she easily weighed 2x more than him. I know he is eating, bathing, and pooping regularly and keeps up with the flock. I bought the gander from Holderreads late last march, and before we loaded him up Dave had given him a worm er medicine (so I believe thats what he said it was) So I am not sure if he has worms or what? Today I did go to the feed store and bought two different things one was Wazine 17 what the feed store said to get and then I got Duramycin-10 Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder.

What can I do? and what do I give the gander to help him gain weight back? please any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Poultry

poultry, I just posted what we use for dewormer here in the goose area. I would get a fecal done and also make sure that gander isnt low man in your flock and being ran off from the feed. The Dewlaps need more feed than the Americans and Sebastopols ever will to maintain proper body weight. Our 4 buff dewlaps get the same amount of feed that our 9 white sebastopols get each morning.

Poultry, X2 what Celtic said. Please get fecal before dosing with possibly unnecessary toxins. As you know, I have been working very hard to put weight on my rescued dewlaps. I have found the larger the area and group size, the harder it is, even though they are free ranging on good grass with plenty of grain supplement.

However, when I separated a pair of underweight adults with bumblefoot for treatment and confined them in my hay shed (with 24/7 grass hay & grain), they gained over 2 lbs in 10 days.

It is also very important that your underweight dewlap is not on the bottom of pecking order. A couple of weeks ago, I separated a pair of disabled (deformed) adults and put them in a 25'x35' yard with a trio of young drakes (as in boy ducks). The **** drakes bullied the pair and the pair were fearful to even approach the food dish. So... I got rid of the drakes a few days ago and instantly this adult pair's tension was gone and now they are relaxed, eating plenty of grain and watermelon treats. I will bet that they will gain weight very quickly now.

Finally, in general, nervous energy burns so many calories that even with the best of food intake, an animal can lose weight. Animals can appear catatonic and still be quivering with high calorie burning nervous energy, so look for that and ways to keep them calm, if necessary.

Good luck!

poultry, I just posted what we use for dewormer here in the goose area. I would get a fecal done and also make sure that gander isnt low man in your flock and being ran off from the feed. The Dewlaps need more feed than the Americans and Sebastopols ever will to maintain proper body weight. Our 4 buff dewlaps get the same amount of feed that our 9 white sebastopols get each morning.
Poultry, X2 what Celtic said. Please get fecal before dosing with possibly unnecessary toxins. As you know, I have been working very hard to put weight on my rescued dewlaps. I have found the larger the area and group size, the harder it is, even though they are free ranging on good grass with plenty of grain supplement.

However, when I separated a pair of underweight adults with bumblefoot for treatment and confined them in my hay shed (with 24/7 grass hay & grain), they gained over 2 lbs in 10 days.

It is also very important that your underweight dewlap is not on the bottom of pecking order. A couple of weeks ago, I separated a pair of disabled (deformed) adults and put them in a 25'x35' yard with a trio of young drakes (as in boy ducks). The **** drakes bullied the pair and the pair were fearful to even approach the food dish. So... I got rid of the drakes a few days ago and instantly this adult pair's tension was gone and now they are relaxed, eating plenty of grain and watermelon treats. I will bet that they will gain weight very quickly now.

Finally, in general, nervous energy burns so many calories that even with the best of food intake, an animal can lose weight. Animals can appear catatonic and still be quivering with high calorie burning nervous energy, so look for that and ways to keep them calm, if necessary.

Good luck!
I know he is not at the bottom of the pecking order as there is neve any fight between him or anyone elce, I will search and see who can do a fecal test and try to get one done but I dont have the money to dump into getting a fecal test done. So I will do what you and celtic have said to do and see how he does. Also I think Im going to buy some flock raiser to feed him untill he puts his weight back on, is that ok?

Thanks
Poultry09

Poultry, I feed the adult rescue dewlaps 40% flockraiser, 40% oats, and 20% whole kernel corn. The juveniles, who recovered better generally, only get 50% flockraiser/50% oats now. The special needs guys (and my personal group) get 100% mazuri maintenance. All are on high quality grass 24/7.

FYI, I always generally emphasize the quality of grass/hay as a factor to consider. All grass is not equal quality and protein content can range from 1%-18+%, depending of type of grass and whether fertilized properly. For instance, (assuming all are fertilized, etc) bahia (common law turf) has around 6% protein, timothy has about 10%, and orchard grass is usually around 16%. Clovers will be in excess of 20%.

Is it okay to feed geese alfalfa cubes if grass is low in the pasture? Maybe break them up for them? Is there a special type of corn you get? We have a lot of "deer corn" sold here, and if that's not the right kind I want to be sure I don't get it by mistake.

Thanks! I want to make sure I'm prepared to feed them properly when my drakes get here.

Is it okay to feed geese alfalfa cubes if grass is low in the pasture? Maybe break them up for them? Is there a special type of corn you get? We have a lot of "deer corn" sold here, and if that's not the right kind I want to be sure I don't get it by mistake.

Thanks! I want to make sure I'm prepared to feed them properly when my drakes get here.
I've given Alfalfa cubes to my Geese a few times. They didn't seem too interested in it and end up letting the ducks eat them.

Cubes? I don't know about cubes, but I've given my geese and my ducks both alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets, and they fall all over each other trying to get to it first! This may be due to the fact that I live in the desert, and they seldom see anything green. At any rate, it hasn't hurt them (though it has induced them to produce copious amounts of poop...) Oh, I have to add-- I spray the pellets with water to make them appear more food-like.

Cubes? I don't know about cubes, but I've given my geese and my ducks both alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets, and they fall all over each other trying to get to it first! This may be due to the fact that I live in the desert, and they seldom see anything green. At any rate, it hasn't hurt them (though it has induced them to produce copious amounts of poop...) Oh, I have to add-- I spray the pellets with water to make them appear more food-like.
welcome-byc.gif

Hey Lightning, Geese do not like alfalfa and will not eat it if given a choice (I have pretty alfalfa bushes sprouting up in my geese yards). They do, however, like good quality horse grass hay. All the africans (my personal group and the rescue group) can access my horses' haystack and regularly are seen eating it even though they are on 7 acres of pasture. I am told they really enjoy oat hay too, but have yet to try it with my guys.

I feed small amounts of whole kernel corn as a treat, to put weight on if needed, and in the cold winter to help with warmth. It is not, however, a good source of nutrition. If your hay is good enough, you can feed whole oats to supplement for grain, but a complete feed is better.

Back
Top Bottom