Need suggestions for a care package for a soldier!

What about postage stamps? Can they use the ones from here, or do they need to come from where they are? My guy has a wife and 2 kids... so I'm sure his little boys would love letters from daddy.

*raises hand*

While we were in Ark for the funeral Pop mentioned in passing that we've cousins out and about... this topic reminded me of that half mentioned tidbit so I emailed him to ask the particulars. I'm definitely subbing to this topic so if one of ours is out in that nightmare maybe we could make a little something for them.

But, I've never done a thing like this. Is there a size or weight limit I should know about? Or, anything goes? Obviously size and weight matter when they calculate the postage you pay, but as far as military rules are there any prohibitions? Appreciate any info, hope this isn't off topic.

Edit... N'mind Deb's linkage helped. http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/HowTo.htm

Last edited:
Condiment packs...

Taco bell hot sauce was popular, soy sauce, red chili dipping sauce (the one you get with eggrolls). Stuff to make the food, well ediable. We'd send videogame magazines (some come with sample disks that have a few levels on them). Socks, underthings, funny movies.

We have a few family members rotating back and forth from the middle east. One is a big time fisherman and was stationed in Iraq and who would have thunk it
smile.png
They had stocked lakes nearby so I sent him a gift certificate from Bass pro shops. He was able to get what he needed and caught some big fish. We also sent a frisbee and that was a major hit. They ended up breaking it (how do you break a frisbee?) so the next box we sent about 10. lol

Steve

We do a huge project each november, for the past 6 years. We have sent over 400 care packages.

If they are in the desert they like: lint rollers, baggies to store stuff in, chapstick, drink powders, sunscreen, lotion and bug spray. Camping pillows, pillow cases, boxers/pj bottoms, under armor, socks, tshirts-any extra clothing. They also like winter gear, as it gets cold there at night.

Good snacks: pretzels, jerkey, beef sticks, cheese and crakers kits, nuts, raisins, m & m, oreo cookies, doritos....endless list. (We always say "think like a 13 year old kid" and buy what they would love to eat. Usually try to get it individidually wrapped so it stays fresher. I try to send stuff that has some protein so they have quick pick me ups when they are out on duty.

I have mailed soda, just packed it in bubble wrap and put it in the center of the box.

If I liquids, I put them in a baggie before putting them in the box.

We use the APO/AFO boxes, they are larger and prepriced, no matter how much they weigh.

Last year we sent movie night in a box, complete with pjs, snacks, movies and such. Lots of fun.

PS-pay attention to custom rules and regulations. Some countries do not allow certain items in, and will open the package and 1. remove the item, or 2. return the package to you or 3. keep it. I have had all three happen.

I always send books of stamps. They soldiers have to buy them, and yes they have to send stuff with stamps. They do get to send it at the US rate instead of sending stuff at the overseas rate. Always send stamps and cards...hard to get stuff printed in English.

Last edited:
Re the twin sheets - when my husband was in the Navy, he brought some cartoon sheets onto the ship - it started a trend and then lots of guys started to do it - it irritated some of the higher ranks, but they did not stop them.
I hear that South Park is very popular with soldiers, maybe you could find South Park sheets. When all you have to yourself is a bunk, it is nice to be able to personalize it.

This thread has inspired me! I'm going to see if some of my friends want to get together to adopt a soldier! With luck, we might be able to get our adoptee by Memorial Day.

I think it's just awful that some active duty soldiers don't even hear from their families. But we can fix all that!

Whitewater

Back
Top Bottom