Need suggestions for a care package for a soldier!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Gonzo, May 19, 2010.

1. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    I'm gearing up to send our adopted soldier a care package, I've never done one before. I asked my guy what he wanted.... and he said anything we want to send. He doesn't like asking for anything. He did tell me that the PX is small, and they don't have much in it. So, I need suggestions so I can get him set up good. Thanks!

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, my dh dosn't even have a px, but this was the list I got from him

Sunscreen, chapstick, bug spray, soap, shampoo, powder, toothpaste,
    toothbrushes, q tips, duct tape (green or cammo), band aids, aspirin,
    bengay, deodorant

I also send beef jerky.....any food items need to be able to be sealed as they have ants(not sure where your solier is, my dh is in Afghanistan) [​IMG]

3. HenPen

HenPen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I have sent all of the above as well as hard candies,gum,playing cards and other decks of card games....several other snack type foods....3 of the soldiers we sent to wrote back to my husband they were very thankful for everything but they all mentioned the card games and how much they enjoyed them.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Canned Cheese!!!!

5. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    Magazines. Books. Letters from home/kids drawings.

If it's for a woman: lotion and hygiene products.

Also maybe stuff to give to the local kids, stuffed animals/stickers?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  6. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    Our guy is in Germany, but I'm sure he'll use all that stuff. I never would have thought about band aids and stuff like that. Thanks! Can we send stuff like Red Bulls or Soda's?

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Any snack items that are sealed airtight are much appreciated by soldiers, especially the Naval Officers. They don't have as much space as those on land so they less.

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I just heard from my son who is in the Army and stationed at camp Taji, Iraq. He was complaining about the "fake snacks" they have there and said he wanted some "real junk" [​IMG]

In his next care package I am sending his favorite gum (5 Cobalt), some Spike energy drink [​IMG], his favorite crackers (those Japanese rice crackers with the wasabi peas in it), and jerky. For entertainment I am sending magazines, paperbacks, sudoko books, crosswords, etc... I am also sending dvd's, but they can often get those locally. The stuff I am sending is the older classic comedies like Caddy Shack and Hot Shots.

BOREDOM is a big problem....which is a good thing considering the alternative. So think of fun things and they will love it.

9. Miss Red

Miss Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Trinity, Texas
    The best thing I or my battles recieve is fresh undies, red bull, and home-made cookies sealed tight in a ziplock thing. The cookies ended up being auctioned off... if he's in cargo he'll use the redbull like a barter between the navy and get things that he needs.

Speaking from experience, hah. Those are the main three things I can think of.

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Some soldiers like pretty cards and such that they can use as birthday cards for loved ones, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by