Need the ABC's of ceramic heat/light... Ack!

Buns

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 3, 2010
Quitman, Texas
I need some clarification as to some things regarding heat, please. I read that it is necessary to have ceramic base, either in a mounted fixture or clamp type light, if I'm planning to use ceramic fixture, so I get that.

Then I surf around and find some bulbs, which are colored. I notice that the bulbs only go up to 60 watts though. Then I read that ceramic light fixtures emit more heat than a comparable "normal" bulb of same wattage. So how do I know how much wattage I need? Is there a conversion scale available? Also, the bulbs that I found are here http://www.buylighting.com/A19-Ceramic-Colored-s/287.htm I'm not even sure what makes them ceramic, they look like a normal bulb to me.

Also, I assume the ceramic heat emitters produce NO light whereas those shown at the link given provide a tinted light? Is there a specific benefit to one or the other? The bulbs are significantly less expensive, that's for sure.

I'm still confused as heck as to what exactly I need to get.
idunno.gif

Ooh, guess I should say what I'm planning on using them for. I have two commercially made brooders for little bitty guys, plus chicks that I keep in open top Wal-Mart type plastic tubs with a red heat lamp over them until they feather out.

Thanks for any help!!

I think the bulbs on your link are just colored opaque light bulbs. I've used a 250 watt red heat bulb and a 250 watt ceramic heat emitter and to my mind the ceramic is a slightly gentler heat or lesser heat than the red bulb but I haven't tested them side by side. I like the ceramic for additional safety and darkness but when it was super cold I used the red heat bulb. I use a Premier 1 heat lamp and it is safer than the aluminun.

A 60 watt bulb isn't enough, I use a 250 watt heat lamp, but lord kows how much electricity that uses. The wole red bulb thing is supposed to calm them and reduce cannibalism. Its a fairly new thing.

Back
Top Bottom