Need the name of the feed

BromelyRidge Birds

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2017
We have been told to feed our chicks a high protein feed once they become older. What is the name of the feed and where do I find it? Thanks for the help. Merry Christmas.

If it's protein you want, starter usually has the highest. I left my chicks on an unmedicated starter/grower until they reached laying age.

I'd put them on a grower, you can choose brand based upon your priorities. If you're interested in a non-GMO feed, likely if you're buying from a feed store or TSC you'll want to go with an organic. If that's not important to you, look for something about 18% protein. After they start laying you can choose to move to either a layer, all flock or stay where you're at but make sure they have grit and oyster shell free choice.

Not sure how far you are from his delivery routes but I buy feed from Sunrise Farms when ever I go through that area. There, Broiler = Grower.

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

How old are your chicks and what breeds? What % protein are you feeding right now? Starter is often 22%.

Different companies call their feeds different things. It just makes for a big confusing mess... grower, starter, all flock, layer, blah blah...

The only thing that really matters in the protein and calcium% to help you decide what to feed. The rest of the nutrients are formulated pretty much the same. Of course reading the ingredient label and choosing the one you like the ingredients and the guaranteed nutritional analysis of is a good idea.

So what is meant by "higher protein"? Higher than what? Usually a chick will get the highest protein level, around 22%. After that it should drop down a little. 16% protein is the minimum needed to sustain light bodied layers like leghorn. Dual purpose breeds like Wyandotte, Rock, Marans.. will do better with at least 18%. I feed "flock raiser" which has 20% protein and only about 1% calcium. I offer oyster shell free choice for the layers, but I also have chicks, roosters, molting, broody's, juveniles. Basically all life stages. And the 20% is a happy medium for my flock. It is "Purina Flock Raiser".

Note my link has a misprint that says 5-17% and should say 15-17%..
http://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/186894.pdf

The ONLY thing layer has that other do not is less protein and more calcium, about 4% instead of 1. I never switch to layer and only provide the OS on the side.

I also breed, and a little more protein has been shown to give better hatches and chick vitality. Show people also often use higher protein feed because feathers are made of 90% protein and the amino acids that make it up. So they say it gives them fuller, shinier feathers.

However, too much protein could actually cause kidney issues and gout. Anything above 28-30% would be detrimental IMO. If you can't find a % that you like mix 2 feeds to get your happy medium.

One of the very most important things is that you don't diminish your protein level of whatever you feed by offering to many low nutrient snacks like lettuce and corn. Although most feeds are mostly corn, they have the nutrients added in.. unlike scratch which is essentially like a bag of chips.

One final point... corn does NOT keep your birds warm as some people like to claim. Body temp is internally regulated by burning calories, a calorie is a calorie.. better to feed nutritious calories then empty ones. In addition they have a down jacket that covers their feet when they hunker down on roost. If it gets super cold where you are ventilation is key because it's moisture build up that settles on combs and causes frost bite.

At 5 months old, your girls will be laying before you know it! :)

Hope this is helpful information. :pop

Back
Top Bottom