Need to get rid of rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MKWhite36, Jan 18, 2016.

1. MKWhite36

MKWhite36 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2015
    I am new to raising chickens and I have a rooster in my latest batch of chicks. 6 months old so nice and not aggressive so far. The kids play with him all the time so he's used to people. I unfortunately need to get rid of him as roosters are not allowed where I live. Any advice on how to do this? Craigslist was no good!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I had wonderful luck listing my two cockerels with the local radio station's public service segment, "Pet Patrol", and they each found a flock to head up where a rooster was much needed. Free service.

Most animal shelters will be happy to place the cockerels for you, too.

3. Violetsrblu

Violetsrblu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Lakeland, TN
    I've seen bulletin boards for posting wanted or for sale messages at feed stores and vet clinics. Craigslist was always successful for me, but my plan B was to do the former.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    How did you post it on Craigslist? Did you ask for a large sum of money and say it has to go to a good home where it will have its own hens and die of old age or did you just say free 6 month old rooster. How you phrased the ad could make a big difference. Once he is gone you have lost control over his fate.

I’m not sure where you are located but I think it is in the US. Find your state thread in the ”Where am I! Where are you!” section of this forum and chat with your neighbors.

Talk to the people at the feed store. You may be able to put up a notice on a bulletin board or if you are really lucky someone there might know someone that will take him.

You can call your county extension agent and ask if they know anyone that might take him.

Check with your local animal shelter, pound, whatever they call it where you are. Most will take things other than dogs or cats.

2 people like this.
  5. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    I agree with Ridgerunner, i see a lot of local ads where they want to sell a rooster for $20, or trade for a laying hen or two pullets, not gonna happen, but the free to $5 ones find a home pretty quick.

6. DJM1

DJM1 New Egg

Jan 21, 2016
    Michigan
    Check for local Facebook livestock groups.

7. mnbrewdude

mnbrewdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2016
    Southeast Minnesota
    Sounds like you have some butchering to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by