Need to get rid of rooster

MKWhite36

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2015
I am new to raising chickens and I have a rooster in my latest batch of chicks. 6 months old so nice and not aggressive so far. The kids play with him all the time so he's used to people. I unfortunately need to get rid of him as roosters are not allowed where I live. Any advice on how to do this? Craigslist was no good!

I had wonderful luck listing my two cockerels with the local radio station's public service segment, "Pet Patrol", and they each found a flock to head up where a rooster was much needed. Free service.

Most animal shelters will be happy to place the cockerels for you, too.

I've seen bulletin boards for posting wanted or for sale messages at feed stores and vet clinics. Craigslist was always successful for me, but my plan B was to do the former.

How did you post it on Craigslist? Did you ask for a large sum of money and say it has to go to a good home where it will have its own hens and die of old age or did you just say free 6 month old rooster. How you phrased the ad could make a big difference. Once he is gone you have lost control over his fate.

I’m not sure where you are located but I think it is in the US. Find your state thread in the ”Where am I! Where are you!” section of this forum and chat with your neighbors.

Talk to the people at the feed store. You may be able to put up a notice on a bulletin board or if you are really lucky someone there might know someone that will take him.

You can call your county extension agent and ask if they know anyone that might take him.

Check with your local animal shelter, pound, whatever they call it where you are. Most will take things other than dogs or cats.

How did you post it on Craigslist? Did you ask for a large sum of money and say it has to go to a good home where it will have its own hens and die of old age or did you just say free 6 month old rooster. How you phrased the ad could make a big difference.

I agree with Ridgerunner, i see a lot of local ads where they want to sell a rooster for $20, or trade for a laying hen or two pullets, not gonna happen, but the free to $5 ones find a home pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom