Need to move the coop... Ideas?

rubyrogue

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
I need to move my coops. The one will be fairly easy to move with just 2 or 3 people but the other one is big and heavy. It is 6x6. Right now it is sitting on blocks but needs to be moved about 50ft maybe more. It took 8 people to move it to where it is now. I would rather not have a coop moving party so any other ideas?

Can you put it on poles and roll it? We did this once with giant slabs of stone and it worked great. We just used the fence poles at The Home Depot.

Buy post taller than width of building, three should be enough post, and roll, you can probably use an eye bolt and cable or strap through the framing underneath and pull it with a mower or tractor, moving post as you go, . That's how I move them all here, even onto trailers that way. But a tractor and forks would be too easy if an option. And remember the lever is an incredible tool.

I moved my coop by myself and it is pretty heavy. I had a whole series of short scrap 2X4s that I put under the edge of bottom and used a large pry-bar to "lever" it over to it's resting position, sliding it over the boards. As I moved it past a board, I moved the board under the front edge of the coop. I only moved it 20' or so, but I could have gone farther. The boards function to reduce friction along the bottom of the coop (compared to the ground) and it makes it easier to slide than not having them under there. Round poles as others suggest would have been even easier, but I didn't have any.

I walked an 8 by 12 by 8 building across the yard using an eight foot cedar post and a cinder block once, by myself, hard work made easier , then I started rolling them on post, actually old cast pipe I found. use a block and lever to lift the building to put the post under it, watch you toes, lol

May I suggest instead of using posts to roll your coop on, try using some PVC Pipe. You can get it in 10 foot sections at Lowes or Home Depot ( or get it at you local plumbing supply in 20 foot sections and cut it in half). By using pipe, your children, small wife, friends, etc. would be able to help if needed instead of needing large guys to handle the posts. Schedule 40 PVC pipe is very strong and doesn't crush as easily as most people think it would. A couple of kids to move the pipes as needed and you and your spouse to provide the hosrepower to push the coop and your coop would be moved in no time! Plus, you can use the pipe to make feeders or waterers later if needed.

Rolling it on posts is a great idea!

This is why I try to build on skids, so things can be dragged around easy if they need to be moved. Just hook it to my truck's trailer ball and drag it anywhere.

Thank you everyone for the ideas. We just removed some pole fence so we have poles and will probably try that. It is in the pasture which is uneven ground. I may also ask the farmers if they can help. They are loading hay right now with a tractor with forks. I was stuck in a rut thinking i was gonna have to put wheels on it.....

Back
Top Bottom