Need Tool Advice/Recommendations

Catalina

Songster
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Minnesota
I want to buy a new drill. And an electric nail gun.

1- They have to be electric. I hate air compressors.

2- They can't be too heavy. I'm a woman in the skinny arm club
tongue.png
- no muscles!

3- The drill has to hold a charge. And have enough strength to drill at least one hole and/or screw in at least one screw! The one I have now dies half way through any job.

Ok - Brand names?
Recommendations?

bow.gif
Please!

sounds like you mean yu want a battery powered rechargeable type...I would go with at least an 18 volt job...smaller than that you won't like the power and bigger the weight might be a factor. There are several good ones out there...Ryobi really isn't bad and is at the lower end of the scale...I am always a fan of craftsman products and then at the high end you have your dewalts and milwaulkes...are they worth the money...probably. I would go for a combo tool kit myself...nail guns are high dollar especially if you are talking frameing nailer! They will actually use a propane canister that is ignited by a spark or somehting like that...hope that helps...

I would pick up a combo kit from a well known company like Ridgid, or Bosch, skill or the sears brand (cant remember name) they are all about the same anyway. probably all made in China these days
gig.gif

For the drill, a Dewalt 18 volt XRP. I saw the professional carpenters using this one, I got one, and am happy with it. Although they say you don't have to, make sure you totally run down the charge before you recharge it. I tie the trigger back to let it run down before recharging.

I have no suggestions on the nail gun. I use a hammer.

If you don't have experience with a framing nailer I would strongly urge you not to use one. I think you would do just fine screwing everything together it will take longer but you won't have the risk of going to the E.R. to get a 3 inch nail pulled out of your body. I would go with a Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, or Bosh. They are construction grade tools the Craftmans and Riobi's will not hold up.

What type of nailer? Are we talking frameing, finish, stapler they do make the gas powered one, but those are not cheap.

For the drill if you truely only need to do a hole, or a screw at a time, then go with the cheapest thing out there, or get a 19.99 black and decker and a extention cord.

thumbsup.gif
Thanks everybody!

I have a cheapie Black and Decker 7 volt drill. It doesn't have a replaceable battery- just a recharging cord thing.

Maybe I won't get the nail gun.
I have a Stanley staple gun that I use for everything and thought a nail gun would be nice for putting up trim and stuff.

You really might want to look at the air compressor kind...they really get the job done! I have craftsman tools and love them...I have a large enough air compressor to run anything and everything I would ever want to and love my finish nailer and brad nailers and staplers!

Those little black and decker jobs just don't hold up...they are marginally ok to put machined thin metal stuff together but don't have the punch for wood.

Back
Top Bottom