Need Tool Advice/Recommendations

Honestly for your purposes I think that any good name-brand cordless drill will do, it doesn't sound like you need anything especially heavy duty (just heavier duty than the cheesy thing you have right now, no offense meant
wink.png
). Ryobi is good but so are a lot of others. Pick something on sale that comes with an extra battery so you can have one on the charger while you're using the one on the drill. Make sure to get a drill with 2 speeds if you are sometimes less-than-perfect in your screw-driving-in technique
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

With the lithium ion battery technology, you can find small drills with lots of power, here is one for you to look at. They are light-weight have more torque than the big heavy 18 volt ni-cads and hold a charge through a lot of work:

http://bosch.cpotools.com/cordless_...tools/cordless_litheon_drills/ps40-2a-rt.html

You can also find them by Makita, Milwaukie and others. Home Depot/Lowes carry a decent selection, I linked to the CPO Bosch site because you can get refub. units for great prices and they have the standard warrantee. I've purchased several and have excellent results.

As far as a nail gun is concerned if you already use a staple gun you know the danger associated with this type of tool. And from the sounds of it you're looking for a finish nailer. You can find battery/gas powered units from Senco, Dewalt and Paslode. Any of them would be excellent tools and can also be found at the big box stores - I'd suggest you get one with maximum nail size of 2 1/2" to give the best flexibility.

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited:
hitachi is actually a pretty good brand... as are dewalt and bosch...
each company makes a "light" drill that will get the job done... 18 volt means bigger battery, which in turn means more weight... kinda got to take the good with the bad when it comes to battery tools... like has been mentioned before, try a new(er) battery first to see if that remedies your problem... should be able to get e reconditioned one for a fairly good price.

Quote:
those are great for screwing things... but not for drilling... wait, that didnt come out right...

lol.png

actually you can get drill bits for them too.

I have the Milwaukee 12v lit ion cordless drill drvier, they say that it can drive 30 3" scews on one charge, I know it can do at least 24. If is very light and the kit i bought from Sears came with 2 batteries. Other than that, I have pretty much every tool that Ryobi makes for with the 18v battery. Several saws, impact driver, sander, stapler, miter saw, spiral saw, and the one that save me the most pain is the caulking gun (great for painters caulk on new mouldings).

Stay away from non "brand" names, the batteries are crap, also stay away from the ones that don't have removable batteries, who has time to wait for it to charge?

I envy you ladies that can use the cordless drills. I had a very bad accident and had to have a section of bone removed from my right arm. I don't have the strength in it to use the heavy cordless drills.

I do, however, have a drill press. I use that to put holes in thing that I need holes in and use a cordless screwdriver to put things together outside. It works for me!

Laurie

thumbsup.gif
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!
thumbsup.gif

I checked out the drill presses today. I really like that idea! But they are soooo expensive. Might have to save up a bit before I buy that.

If you have any more ideas - feel free to add them!

Back
Top Bottom