NEED your help...advice...splinter.

Thank you for your advice.
Here's what I know...I trimmed down to the quick (just shy) could not reach it, it had broken off. (The splinter)
Soaked in hot water, soften, perhaps loosened..but just too deep. Pain..yes.
Soaked in a hot potato...nothing. Again, perhaps loosened, but no drawing. Pain...yes.
Dug till I couldn't stand it. Decided to wait it out. Put vaseline on it, wrapped in bandaid...took an advil. And just praying an leaving in Gods hands. I am not a surgeon, CANNOT go any deeper...yup, I'm a baby.
I cannot remember if I've ever had one this deep...I don't believe so. Normally, can get it out.
All of these had some effect on the finger and splinter, for the good, but I think it's just in too deep.

Thank you.
frow.gif

If you wait long enough, the infection will make it pop out easier. Sounds horrible I know. Sometimes I let my splinters get infected and then just pop them right out. Not something I would usually recommend though, lol.

Hope it comes out soon!!

I got the splinter out yesterday about 2:00

I put vaseline on it, wrapped it in a bandaid, and tried to forget it till the next day.
Here's what I found out...

1. I had to dig it out. Yes, it still hurt, but not like it did the day before. It had swollen, had some infection, but was able to put the needle in far enough to pull it up to where I could grab with the tweezers.

2. The vaseline kept it soft. Apparently, if it's hard and dry then it's much more painful to work with.
almost no pain or soreness in the finger today. Was able to get back to guitar practice.

3. Hope it doesn't happen to you.

My advice. If you can't get it out right away with a small amount of trouble. Do what I did. I was really surprised at the difference of pain.

Thank you again for your help! You BYC'ers are the best!!
frow.gif

My 2 options would have been:

a) Grab a bottle of Jaegermeister. Start drinking and start digging for the splinter
b) Let it get infected and come out with the puss

Sorry I couldn’t be of any more work. Glad you got it out!

Quote:
This is what I would have recommended as well. I just had a splinter in my hand for about two weeks, then, it just came to the surface, popped out and it's good as new. Unless it's something you can easily grab, it's usually better to let the body do what it will do. Mine never even got infected.

Glad you were able to get it out though!

Quote:
This is what I would have recommended as well. I just had a splinter in my hand for about two weeks, then, it just came to the surface, popped out and it's good as new. Unless it's something you can easily grab, it's usually better to let the body do what it will do. Mine never even got infected.

Glad you were able to get it out though!

My husband had the same thing happen with glass shreds. Just took him a bit longer (like a year or so).

Splinters are the worst! It is amazing how something so tiny can cause so much pain and irritation to even the most pain tolerant among us.

I do hope it comes out soon. Nothing really to add to what has been suggested.

Back
Top Bottom