Need your opinion about gender. Updated on post # 14

I'm guessing roo also, based on the size of the comb and seems to have some hackle development versus female type cape, and it's legs are really thick looking as well.

I have no idea if it's true but I've heard that if it's 3 colors or more it's a roo and females can only be two different colors, once again, you might want to check on that bit of info....

Quote:
You see the red druppy flap of skin under the beak. Thats a wattle and the skin on top is called a comb.

Thanks for the info! So Hens aren't supposed to have them? Several of mine that are laying right now have 'em?

Well here is an updated picture at age 5 months. My ? roo ended up being a hen. She gave us her first egg at 17 weeks. I thought for sure she was a he. Glad I was wrong.
33356_img_5767.jpg

Speckled Sussex are sooo difficult to sex. I'm usually quite good at sexing, but I admit the SS vary so much in comb, wattle, even feather deveopment that one often really does need to wait for egg or crow. I have a SS now that I was certain was a roo---I even found a new home for the chick with the agreement that I wanted another month before we rehome, to be totally certain she was a he (because we all loved the little SS). All along everything screamed roo, until last week when the comb paled up. Sure enough, we have a pullet! Your SS hen is lovely.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom